Posted on | April 9, 2014 | 23 Comments

Long Term Unemployment Benefit Deal Update today April 9, 2014:
The deal to extend long term unemployment benefits to approximately 2.5 million Americans passed through the Senate this week. The official vote to pass the bill through the Senate happened Monday and passed with a majority count of 59 to 38 in favor of the deal. Democrats in the Senate favored the deal, but only several Republicans gave the deal their vote of approval. Prominent Republican Senators include Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio, Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire and Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois. The President was so enthused that he sent out a Tweet that said, “The Senate took action on a bipartisan bill. It’s now up to the House to follow suit.” The President urges the House, which is led by Republicans, to approve the deal so that he may sign it into law.
Dean Heller of Nevada, the lead Republican sponsor of the Senate bill, has requested a meeting with House Speaker John Boehner to discuss ways to move the deal through the House. Boehner has been staunchly against passing the deal as it now stands. He has cited the bill’s lack of potential to promote job growth as one primary reason that it should be dismissed from consideration. Boehner has also cited concerns from various state officials and administrators regarding the bill’s weak potential for actual implementation. Boehner reports that it would be administratively difficult to implement the deal is it is now designed. As it stands now, the current bill would restore benefits for five months and the benefits would be retroactive to last December.

Comments

23 Responses to “Senate leaders Urge House to Pass Unemployment Benefit Extension; EUC deal passes Senate but a Difficult Road is Ahead”

1. ed (Ocean City, Maryland)
    April 9th, 2014 @ 12:11 pm

Time is running out for many of us, I live in a seasonal area which makes finding year round employment even more difficult in this already damaged economy! I personally believe I have found a promising lead for employment but it will not begin until June, “if I get the job” That is the positive, however the Negative still remains.. How do I catch up on my Mortgage and other past due bills from the past 4 months? extending the EUC is not a free pass and that is not what we are looking for! we simply need help getting back on track! Please think outside of the comfortable box you are in and help bring this bill to fruition! They say to understand the life of a man without sight wear a blind fold for a week or sit in a wheelchair without the use of your arms and legs to experience that of a cripple. If you have never woken in the morning with a sick deep depression in your belly because you don’t know how you will feed your family tonight or if they will even have a roof over head, Spend 4 months unemployed as you watch your country leaders debate weather or not it is worth passing a bill to help those of us in need! PLEASE help us remember why we live in the greatest Country in the world! Thank You

2. Jeanine in dyersburg,tn
    April 9th, 2014 @ 12:31 pm

Pass the bill please!whatever you guys got going on in the house please come together and settle your differences,it no need to let us suffer because of you guys foolishness,people need their homes, bills payed, food, and their families, and a job,without any money we can’t look for nothing need gas in the cars,need money to keep our cars.please help your American people it’s only right.

3. TVW
    April 9th, 2014 @ 12:43 pm

Well, people of the working class and paying for your own insurance, I hope this is a lesson. I am not speaking negatively but want you all to remember this come voting time.
    If you and I had all our finances paid buy big business, oil etc. and had the best of insurance paid for life and could vote our pay raises whenever we want one whether it was passed or not all would be fine. As a matter of fact congress is trying to vote a 16% pay raise over the next couple years and are not even thinking of this unemployment issue for the people that are paying for their freebees.
    Please do not blame our president for what is happening, he cannot do anything for us working class without making some kind of concession to the republicans in return. They are undermining bastards making one of the best presidents we ever had look bad. Those republicans are making it next to impossible for a great president do do what the working people need. Please remember this when the next voting term comes around, remember what the republicans did to and for you and do the same right back, you know what that is!
    I like many of you worked all my life, I am 71 years old and served 20+ years in the military and this is humiliating and is what I get in return as an American citizen to know we have such a**holes working in our government pretending to be representing the working public and people that put them there, what a bunch of liars. There is something I would like to say about this (BONER), speaker of the house but cannot because I would be rounded up and put in prison. GOD Bless America and please take to heart to protect the people that put these idiots in office (BONER), that cannot cut grass without screwing it up. Remember the next elections America, let’s put people in office that represent the the people that put them there, no BS, for real. God bless you all for reading this and I hope this thing passes so you all do not lose everything you have worked for all your lives. They have till the weekend to pass this EUC before they go on another recess for two weeks so you know where this is going, does not look good at all. The republicans put it off until another recess rolls around and then they escape for another two weeks and forget about it. I hope they all get their due when the time comes. Maybe if we create a war amongst ourselves they will give us a couple billion dollars, does this sound familiar? Another thing, who pays for all these recess trips they keep flying back home for? Your EUC money, that is what pays for it.
    Sincerely,
    A concerned American Veteran
    TVW

4. Override the House
    April 9th, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

Please Mr President overide the House and sign the bill.

5. Gigi
    April 9th, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

Regardless of the impact on over 2 million citizens, Boehner and his flock of cowardly lemmings simply don’t care about the unemployed and conveniently come up with excuses not to implement. They are dragging out this issue, and after coming back from yet another recess, I am sure we’ll say it’s too late and too difficult to implement. Their basic issue, so they say , is that the current program needs to be funded by other budget cuts in our efforts to reduce our debt. Makes sense, however now that this has been done, the issue is creating new jobs. Makes sense again, however unemployment has decreased while EUC was in effect so doesn’t it make sense that the program itself is a catalyst in supporting people who have been forcibly unemployed and looking for work. Don’t you think having a roof over your head along with transportation and fuel to get to job interviews helps reduce unemployment and put more people to work. More workers create a higher tax base as well. I find it incredible that all our politicians can’t help their own citizens in this time of need. The bickering, delays, and political maneuvering is a disgrace. Please think about the extended hardships that many people are faced with right now and take the right course of action to pass the EUC quickly. Like it’s been said many times before, it’s mind boggling how quick we are to help foreign countries who despise use, yet frankly don’t give a damn about our own people.

6. tristan
    April 9th, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

you are write TVW a war is what going to fix these country. There’s A PEACE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF WAR THAT WE MUST GET TO ,THIS COUNRTY MUST BE FIX.THIS GOVERNMENT HAS BECOME ONE OF THE WORST IN THE WORLD. WE MUST STICK TOGETHER AMERICA.

7. kl
    April 9th, 2014 @ 2:30 pm

I pray they get there act together and pass this before they take there recess again. But I am very doubt full this will happen. I watch and pray each day this passes. PLEASE HELP US !!!

8. marcm
    April 9th, 2014 @ 3:32 pm

I was wrong for GIVING UP on THE SENATES…I applaud you for the passage of EUC…I pray im wrong too about THE HOUSE…PLS PASS EUC so the people will have a PEACE OF MIND!!! (pray the PEOPLE don’t have to wait til you comeback from your RECESS…PASS EUC NOW)

9. dee
    April 9th, 2014 @ 3:41 pm

Well how about if the President said they were not allowed to go on Recess until this passed. I am sure, me included have worked and been denied our vacations for one reason or another at our jobs. You bet they would make it a priority, working 24/7 to pass it. They are just stalling, and I worked for the same company 35 years and didn’t get the amount of time off that they do. I’m a medical professional, worked with the critically ill. I had to laugh a month ago on the news they had to show them at a working lunch meeting, really! People in healthcare work through their lunch all the time. Do they think people only get sick from 9-5, with a half hour lunch! They all totally disgust me, and what goes around, comes around.

10. James Medleycott
    April 9th, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

Please Mr. President over ride the usless house if they don’t approve before they take ANOTHER recess.

11. Ethel
    April 9th, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

They should be made to stay until they vote on the bill people are starving living in dark home because they don’t have lights and gas this is not right to treat the American people like this have a heart and pass the bill

12. DEBRA PEART
    April 9th, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

MR PRESIDENT WHY CANT YOU DECLARE A STATE OF EMERGENCY FOR THE WE THE PEOPLE..TELL THE HOUSE NO VACATIONS UNTIL EUC PASSES..THEY HOLD MILLIONS HOSTAGE..HOW WOULD THEY LIKE IT IF THEY COULDNT PROVIDE FOR THEIR SURVIVAL NEEDS FOR THEMSELVES AND / OR THIR FAMILIES..EUC TODAY MR PRESIDENT…BLOOD IS ON YOUR HANDS BONER…PASS EUC NOW…PRESIDENT OBAMA..FORCE A VOTE..IM ALREADY HOMELESS…THANKS BONER..58 YR OLD GRANDMA..HOMELESS AFTER 40 YRS OF WORKING…FOR WHAT? SO ONE MAN CAN DESTROY MILLIONS OF LIVES AND LEGALLY MURDER THE CITIZENS OF THESE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA….

13. Ashamed of my country
    April 9th, 2014 @ 5:07 pm

I’m ashamed to call myself an American. What happened to…by the people and for the people???
    Republicans have dragged this out for months looking for any excuse not to pass this extension and are playing politics with the lives of millions of families and veterans. I’m appalled and disgusted with their lack of compassion for the less fortunate. There will be serious consequences for Bohner and his posse come November. Every action has an equal or greater reaction!!!

14. Anne
    April 9th, 2014 @ 5:13 pm

The time its taking to decide on this is absolutely ridiculous!

15. Jamie E Kelly
    April 9th, 2014 @ 5:22 pm

They should be compelled to stay until this is voted on…. Consider the fact they will only work 92 days this year….always going on vacation and do not care about those suffering without for over 3 months….
    Remember in November!

16. Ricky
    April 9th, 2014 @ 6:15 pm

I am a vet that has always worked and supported this country. Now I can say its garbage. Not the country as a whole but the Gov’t. I dont get it, even if it doesnt provide jobs it keeps the economy going. Get your heads out of your asses and pass this. The economy, nation and many people are suffering from you big headedness John Boehner. Stop sending money overseas and handing drug addicts needles and all this extra BS until the foundation is rebuilt!

17. nancy in ohio
    April 9th, 2014 @ 6:15 pm

I was just wondering can we come to the While House and eat, take a bath, and wash some clothes. Maybe they can give us some of the food from the pantry. Or, maybe a bus pass, or gas card. Maybe someone there can explain to our children why they can’t eat, watch TV or do homework because there are no lights. But I worked while in the hospital, gave up plenty of vacation time, extra hours not paid for and for what? To have the government take away my pride and dignity. If the Speaker is worried about job creation where are they, because I would sure like to have one of them. I hope they enjoy yet another tax payer two weeks off. Didn’t one of them just say $172,000 was not enough to live decently on? Wonder how $1.02 would feel to him.

18. George
    April 9th, 2014 @ 6:42 pm

I’m not going to be able to pay my rent if this doesn’t pass. Moving into a homeless shelter and interviewing surely can’t help my chances of being hired. Please, if anything consider doing 1/2 of the proposed 5mo. Thank you!

19. Ray
    April 9th, 2014 @ 8:15 pm

I for one can only say ,hope the house and there members are smart eanough

to pass this dam thing.

20. DJ
    April 9th, 2014 @ 10:05 pm

Pres. Obama needs to get the house going
    on this bill ASAP!!! NOW

21. Keith
    April 10th, 2014 @ 12:27 am

Hey John how would you feel if you suddenly lost your income. My wife and I lost the ability to pay for rent, healthcare, and food. Because YOU feel the bill isn’t right, take a week and come live our shoes with no possible income, not knowing where your next meal comes from and what happens if one of your kids gets sick. You have never facrd hardship like this so why make the american people suffer because YOU can’t make up your mind. I year the house has a two week easter vacation, let us take your income suddenly with no means of any help in San Joaquin County. If you can sleep with this on your mind you are tryly heartless . Deal with unemployment before You leave and help THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!!!

22. Dave
    April 10th, 2014 @ 2:09 am

John Boehner, are you really that numb between the ears to not recognise the heartache almost 3 million of us are going through. I can’t believe that you and the rest of your republican posse can just pack up, go home and leave so many deserving Americans without these benefits. You really need to get this passed now.
    And Mr President. You say you want this to pass. Can’t you do anything to get this bill passed. I understand the balance of power and how did Mr Boehner get it. What the hell is that. One guy can say, NOPE, and that’s it. Really! Mr Obama, quit being a sideliner and jump in and demand at least an immediate consideration. It’s the ONLY right thing to do. What has this country come to. We must be a joke to the rest of the world. Very Sad.

23. Amy
    May 27th, 2014 @ 6:04 pm

I had to take my daughter out of daycare at 9 months old because I was laid off. I had to move in with my mother, who is a single mother herself, since I was two because my father died from complications of surgery. It is not her job to “take care of me and my daughter”. My husband works two jobs in MA and has to rent a room. My daughter gets to see him once a week because he is our only income. I have applied for numerous jobs. I have spent money on text to become a certified teacher. I have a masters degree but need to get another one in order to “teach” in a public school, because private school pay will not support us. My husband asked for a divorce. I am now stuck living with my mother, my daughter has no father, and all the money I had saved went to test and grad school, which adds to the already 30,000 college debt I currently am trying to pay off. I can’t go for interviews because I can’t find someone to watch my daughter during the day. I can’t get daycare assistance because they tell me she does not need to be in daycare since one parent is home during the day. It shocks me that I have paid my taxes for years and while other people have been able to collect unemployment for two years, I was only able to collect for 6 months. This system is failing my daughter by not allowing her what other children’s parents can provide. I am so disapointed with the system that is in place. The house can’t even imagine what I have gone through, what my daughter has lost because of lack of support from our government. I have no choice but to return to college, after almost 10 years, for a second MA because my first MA leads me to being over qualified or under qualified, resulting in no hire. DO something for the people who are actually educated, help pay for text or training. I’m not a a teen mom, not a high school drop out, but I feel like the “house” does not consider once married, now single mothers who would be on the street if it were not for their own caring single mother to support me and my daughter. Show some empathy for the people and children of the future.