Posted on | March 31, 2014 | 85 Comments

Today’s Extended Unemployment Benefit News Review and Update March 31, 2014:
Today is the last day of March and although the Senate is expected to vote on the unemployment benefit extension deal this week, American frustrations have been growing immensely. April will mark the fifth month during which some Americans have been out of work and without long term unemployment insurance. Over a million Americans exhausted their long term unemployment benefits in late December 2013 and now, through 5 separate months, more Americans remain in wait.
The Senate has taken multiple recess sessions so far in 2014 while failing to pass the unemployment benefit extension deal. After their most recent return from recess on March 24, lawmakers were able to initiate a vote to end the filibuster on the unemployment deal. By doing so, the Senate will once again bring the bill to the floor for consideration this week.
Finally, the deal to extend unemployment benefit insurance for over 2 million Americans could be brought to a vote this week and pass through the Senate. Despite recent criticisms of the deal, the Senate is expected to pass the legislation. Ten Republicans joined to support the vote last week to end the filibuster and Senate Democrats hope that the Republican support will build momentum for when the legislation finds its way to the House. House speaker John Boehner has been a vocal critic of the bill. His comments could derail the bill’s path to the President’s desk. If accepted and signed by the President though, the current deal would extend unemployment benefits retroactively to December 28, 2013.

Comments

85 Responses to “Will Senate Pass Extended Unemployment Benefit Insurance this week; EUC a Top Concern for millions of Jobless Americans”

1. Ted
    March 31st, 2014 @ 11:19 am

Not to be negative, but tomorrow is April 1st, which will mark exactly 90 days, or 3 months since the unemployment benefits were dropped, not 5 months.

2. Kenneth J. Selwocki
    March 31st, 2014 @ 11:48 am

… please pass this first thing monday morning.

3. dee
    March 31st, 2014 @ 12:33 pm

Please pass extended unemployment benefits. I have worked for 40 years straight. I have resorted to eating ramen noodle and a soft pretzel to survive. I’m going to lose my house of 12 years. The banks make out again!

4. frog58
    March 31st, 2014 @ 12:44 pm

I realize the people in congress have no clue what real life is…if they don’t pass darn bill asap we voters are just going to have to show them what it is like to be thrown out of their jobs. 2014 elections are as important and 2016!!

5. John Jacobs
    March 31st, 2014 @ 1:03 pm

This has to be one of the worst instances I’ve seen where elected representatives have shown a clear and blatant disregard for the safety and well being of the people they were elected to represent. We continue to pay taxes that go toward paying their salaries all the while families are struggling to eat and losing their homes! It is complete insanity.

6. Gloria Thompson
    March 31st, 2014 @ 1:19 pm

I’m not only hungry. I’m about to be homeless.Thanks to my income tax I was able to survive a little longer than some but as all the rest I NEED MY MONEY. I worked hard for it and deserve it . Please pass ASAP!!!!!

7. Needy
    March 31st, 2014 @ 1:38 pm

We are barely hanging on. We need this now. Please get it done today!

8. kenny
    March 31st, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

they will b coming to shutoff all my thgs i need to live on ! my water,gas,and elec !cause i havent been able to pay them! iv worked all my life &always have paid them on time! they will shut them off cause i cant pay them! i cant even get my trk insp cause i cant pay for my ins. that leaves me stuck with no job (cant go look for 1 cant drive to look for 1) next i will lose my roof over my head!for the firsttime i-we the people that have paid for our gov bills all our lives and now when we need them they act like we r asking for the world.! all we need is some help to maytane what we have & worked all our lives for!!! if the shoe was on ther foot they wouldnt hestitate to pass the bill!!! we the people have been paying for them & there bills for yrs !! and now we need there help & they play around delaying helping us!! if we all delay paying them.they wood b in the same spot we r in today!! how long wood it take for them to act against us ??? we the people voted these people in thking they wood help us when we needed them ! they forgot the people that put them there!! if they lost everthg they worked for!! HOW LONG WOOD THEY WANT TO KEEP PAYING THEM !!! they can help the people that come to our country for help & never worked. here never paid for the gov. here !! (BUT OUR GOV GIVES THEM BILLIONS)AND FORGET US THAT WORK HERE&LIVED HERE & BEEN PAYING INTO OUR GOV!! U.S.A PEOPLE SHOULD B FIRST ! THEN EVERY 1 ELES!!!!

9. Hopeful and Praying
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:00 pm

IM A SINGLE PARENT LAID OFF FROM MY JOB WITH 2 CHILDREN BEEN LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT EVERY WHERE. I CLAIMED ONE CHECK ON MY EXTENSION RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS BEFORE I LOST MY UNEMPLOYMENT. I HAVE APPLIED TO 471 JOBS IN MY AREA. I HAVE A DEGREE I GOT CALLED FOR 2 INTERVIEWS ONE OF THE JOBS WAS TEMP FOR A WEEK. THE OTHER JOB I DIDNT GET. NEXT MONTH I WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO PAY ANY OF MY BILLS. SOME OF US CANT AFFORD TO KEEP WAITING MY CHILDREN WONT UNDERSTAND DOING THEIR HOMEWORK IN THE DARK.

10. Robert
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:01 pm

How can our LEADING politicians not see the importance in restoring the extended unemployment. But yet the same people will give away billions to foreign countries while its own people suffer. For once lets take care of our own FIRST then help out others…is that too much to ask?

11. vern
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

Are they voting today?

12. Lisa C. Dixon
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

Please do something fast. I can’t hold on much longer. My mortgage is about to come do again. I don’t want to ask my church to pay it again.

13. George
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:38 pm

We should all just get over it. The government (U.S., State, or Local) is not our government. It does not serve the people, it serves itself. If you are in the government, or have purchased someone in the government through campaign contributions, you get served. Otherwise, your job is to feed the government. Get used to it! It is not going to change; the governments are too well armed.

14. L Wood
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:38 pm

Here it is the end of another month EUC is still not passed/approved by senate. I have over 30 plus years in the work force and for the first have been out of work. I am at the end of my 6 months of regular unemployment compensation and still no job. I have submitted applications, resume, references and recommendation letters to many businesses for 6 months and only had 2 call backs with one interview. I am an educated professional and loyal employee. Most responses are that I am over qualified. Maybe John Boehner would like to provide me a job. Please pass the EUC immediately!! Time is running out for many un employed workers – we too want to live the simple American dream but cannot if bills do not get paid.

15. Tom Beglin
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:40 pm

I’m 63. Have worked for 45 years.I really can”t afford to retire. Don’t want to. I’m in construction and waiting for the weather to break. Just need help to catch up on the last two months.I’ve paid the gov’t. my dues.Please pass this bill before I lose everything I’ve worked for.

16. rebecca
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:43 pm

I am hoping that this will finally end the battle over this very serious issue. I have worked 35 years, never relying on any help for the government. I never thought I would be in this position at 55. I was fortunate to have some savings, now its gone. I am looking everyday for work. I consistently am told; “you’re overqualified”, “we can’t pay you what you are used to”. To which I always reply “I don’t want to lose the opportunity and I am willing to accept the pay as it is”.

It amazed me how fast the aid to Ukraine was passed, with no political wrangling. Seems to make a pretty clear statement that oil is substantially more important than the American people who support this country, and unfortunately voted the politicians into office to secure OUR best interests. Sure isn’t happening. I will join the ranks of the rest and say PLEASE pass this extension.

17. Vera Clayton
    March 31st, 2014 @ 2:56 pm

Please pass the bill as been looking for work and unable to find anything. Even while earning unemployment we still pay our bills therefore keeping others from being unemployed.

18. carter
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:03 pm

This is so crazy… the government knows that we have worked until we couldn’t work no more…. by no fault of our own. We deserve this vote. We deserve some appreciation.!. I didnt get no euc. I’ve never been on Government aid packages. This is disgusting to see the government of the U.S.A. treating its people like we are a third world country under control of a bunch of nasty dictators. This is crazy. Boehner you will not be in control for much longer buddy.

19. Christopher
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

Hard lines are being drawn . A lot of people who have previously stayed away from politics are going to become active . Our government is becoming so corrupted by big money interests that politicians actually think that they are above the will of the people !!! People are begging for bread and John Boehner is saying ” let them eat cake “!!! Well Mr. Boehner , we all know how that story ended . Do not EVER think that you are above karma .

20. PLEASE VOTE TODAY
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:10 pm

Please vote today and bring to house floor tomorrow . I am not able to hang on much longer . Please !!

21. kl
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:13 pm

Hope we find out something soon If they are going to pass it or not. The waiting game needs to come to an end. Just take a pen out and pass the bill.

22. Desperate
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:14 pm

Please pass this and please pray that God will soften the Speaker of the House’s heart and allow this to go to the president’s desk.. I am like the others..I need this..I am fixing to lose my car my dignity and very well much my life once I starve to death. I can not even get help with food nor medicines that I need.

23. Garrett
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:17 pm

I can’t hang on much longer. I’m feeling weak. No medicine, no food, no hope. Please help us. I can feel my soul being broken.

24. tom
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:22 pm

What kind of propoganda is this?
    1. How does three months become “almost five months?”
    2. It isn’t quite 8:30AM Pacific time, yet you have posted responses with times after 2PM

25. John Boehner Should Be Voted Out in November!
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

If the smart senators in the US Senate have realized the desparate need to re-authorize the EUC Benefits to millions of unemployed workers (mostely the Long-Term Unemployed Workers with over 6-month of work-search efforts,) WHY Mr. John Boehner is taking an adversary position to extend such needed EUC Benefits to millions of needy US Citizens. He should be removed from the Speakership and the House of Representatives this coming November (Mid-Term Elections.)

26. Dre
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

Pass please!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. MP
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

Here we are another Monday, the beginning of another week of praying and hoping filled with anxiety…..and the in the headline Obamacare, face it it’s law nothing is going to change we don’t need another vote on it to make it 55. Is the house going to vote it in until it gets to 100?? Aren’t there other things….oh wait there are …..the ukraine, the mystery airplane, Putin, and then there is IRS, Benzai, Chris Christy, everything but the long term unemployment. And these guys at this point are probably thinking about their vacation plans.
    PLEASE ME REID GET THIS TO THE HOUSE TODAY, LET MR BONEHEAD AND HIS CREW ON SELFISH CRONIES FIGHT ON THIS AND HOPEFULLY NANCY WILL OPEN HER MOUTH. WE NEED THIS TAKEN CARE OF ASAP.M WE ARE ALL DYING HERE, OUR LIFELINES ARE JSUT ABOUT ALL GONE AND IN SOME CASES IT IS ALL GONE!!!
    VOTE TODAY NOT TOMORROW TODAY!!! MR BONEHEAD PLEASE SOBER UP FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AND REALIZE WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO US!!

28. Jordan
    March 31st, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

If they can’t help us tax payers when we need it most I guess I’ll have to return the favor come 4-15 when taxes are due and say screw you too, I’ll just remember to keep my assets such as car, house in someone else’s name to prevent you from trying to cease anything from me and also go with cash only keeping no balance in my accounts for you to take IRS. So screw you to Feds, just returning the favor

29. GARY
    March 31st, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

It is time to organize the two million man march to Washington DC and we all bring one dozen eggs. Take that or restore benefits that right now are critical to millions of hardworking Americans. Anyone who votes no needs to be removed from office. After this they will know how tough life can be without extended benefits. Take care of the rest of the world and leave Americans homeless and without food! Absolute Insanity.

30. Diana
    March 31st, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

I Have Worked Over 30 Years ..Got Lay Off May 2013 Soon As I Got A Letter For Extention It Was Cut off..I Have Filled Out So Many Application I Can Read Them By Heart IT Is A Shame That They Think So Little Of Us Not To Extend UnemploymentThey Took It Out Of Our Checks Now We NeedThat Money To Live..Please Pass The Bill We Are Dying Out Here..

31. mike husik
    March 31st, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

On 3/27/14 3:19 AM, “MikezzH” mhusik@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. John Boehner
    I am a 55 year old unemployed portraits photographer. As of today I have
    minis $2.34 in the bank. I am in line at a flea market at 4.30am.It’s 26°
    out, and my car is filled with all of my prize possessions.I the past 8
    months I have applied for many jobs with no luck,I finally landed a job
    for a company out of Ohio called My church Family Albums. Had to fight
    every week for my salary of 500.00. I worked 5 weeks and only got paid
    for 3. Too many excuses why I did not get my salary every week.
    I now know what it’s like not to have. All you’re accomplishing with not
    extending EUC unemployment is keeping over 1,000,000 people off of
    unemployment radar. I figure it keeps your numbers down.

32. Unemployed#43958798
    March 31st, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

UNBELIEVABLE!

Over 1 million people have exhausted their benefits?? Try more like over 2.5 million with 20,000 more every week.

PHONE JAM BOEHNER

Contact John Boehner’s office until the phones are unplugged:
    John Boehner says the implementation will be “difficult”? Is that really the attitude you want to have towards long-term unemployed seeking jobs? Its “difficult so give up, huh?
    #SETEXAMPLE

Washington, D.C. Office
    1011 Longworth H.O.B.
    Washington, DC 20515
    (202) 225-6205

SPREAD THE WORD AND GET THIS OUT

33. Amenia N
    March 31st, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

I have never experienced such turmoil in my life and apparently Bonehead hasn’t either. I have been working since i was 16. I have used all of my 401 k. My credit cards maxed. It does not take a rocket scientist to see that we are in a recession now. I have filled out 336 careerbuilder applications and 3 intervies were the result and still no job.
    Pass the bill, really. Enough is enough.

34. michelle
    March 31st, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

I was laid off in the same month my husband left and I am expecting my 4th child in a week. We lost our home, our car, and my kids lost their dog. We are homeless and now on food stamps.

35. Angel P.
    March 31st, 2014 @ 5:23 pm

I have worked since I was old enough to hold a job. 20 of service and am now unable to afford the medication that I am required to survive. All the taxes I have paid in, and here I sit with only a prayer. My medication jars; empty. I can feel my health declining. I am an American citizen desperately seeking work, unable to afford my meds, and a rapidly declining sense of health and strength. I will continue to pray for my fellow Americans suffuring as I am for as long as as I have the strength to do so.

36. lisa Rydman
    March 31st, 2014 @ 5:24 pm

I have run out of unemployment benefits. I am losing my house, our car, our medical bills are through the roof, and when we get through this, we will be starting over at 46 years old. I have worked since I was 15, and was at the last job for 14 years. I have never had to take unemployment. Now We need it. Please vote and pass this bill today. the absolute pleading of your country’s citizens are not from the “unwilling and shiftless” they are from the heart of your country, the people who put you in power, the ones who vote, the ones who give back to the communities you represent. No wonder your 20 somethings dont give a damn about our government. They see nothing but selfish coruption, they see what is happening to their parents and think why should we have anything to do with that?
    Please vote today to continue the unemployment benefits!

37. Gerard
    March 31st, 2014 @ 5:32 pm

I’m a veteran and served for several years for the military. As a civilian I have worked my butt off to be able to pay my bills and it just hurts me so badly how this so called “people representator” or congressmen are playing with our benefits. I barely have found a PT job yet it’s not enought to pay the bills. I have not taken any vacations or time off and been just working and still can’t believe this clowns get to take 2 weeks off at our own expense while the rest of those who need the Uenmployment extention can’t barelly hold on. This Bill needs to be approved and expedited so people can have the resources to get back to work or keep on seeking employment. For once in your life dear memebers of our congress do your job and pass this bill. Some of us are about to loose everything for your stupidity

38. KJK
    March 31st, 2014 @ 5:41 pm

I lost my job last March and have applied for numerous positions and have had no luck. My husband has been unemployed as well. We’ve been living off what little savings we have and next we’ll be dipping into our retirement funds just to survive. I’ve worked for the past 35 years straight and my boss retired last year. Try to get decent employment at age 60! We both work at it daily with no success while we read about government people and their vacations. Easy for John Boehner to vote it down, he’s never lived it. Instead of giving him the opportunity to vote unemployment extensions out, they should vote him out.

39. savannah
    March 31st, 2014 @ 5:46 pm

The decision to aid other countries never takes this long. Tax time is due and I owe because I prefer to keep my own money throughout the year. Its safer in my pocket. If every citizen did that for the whole year the government would not have the over abundance of cash flow. But too many people allow the government to hold their money rather than holding their own and drawing their own interest on it. We the people need to work smarter not harder. We need to put the squeeze on them to get their attention. They take from us, but they don’t feel the need to give back. However, if my government isn’t helping me in return and I cant pay my bills, then why should I pay my taxes? They can afford to be without my $2000 more than I can. They aren’t working for me, they are working for other countries. Then no more funding for our so called leaders.
    They need to realize that we the people pay their salaries and employ them.
    How did we get in the economic mess we are in? Not by our decisions. Yet we pay the price? How can we teach our children to be responsible and accountable when the most publicized sector is corrupt. Do as we say not as they do?

40. lori macy
    March 31st, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

Please Mr. President, override Boehner!! People are desperate!!

41. Gina
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

First of all I am pissed that I have been a Republican all my life and now considering changing parties. Yes the economy is rebounding but not to the point where the extension is unneeded. I am four months behind on my rent, not sure if I will be able to continue my online school without access to the web and you are all giving other countries billions – how are we paying for that? What about me and my family of 5 – why is it so important for us to find a way to pay for this benefit – are we not deserving of help more than citizens from other countries? We need help now too! Please reinstate the extended 2014 Unemployment Benefit Extension, even with that it’s hard to pay the bills and I can assure you I’d much rather work! The benefit for my family is just a homelessness safety net and not worth not going back into the workforce for such a low monthly stipend. Remember we are the middleclass, WE ARE NOT LAZY, without compassion from the upper class we would not exist.

42. John Sandher
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

I’m not going to beg or pray for the Senate to pass this bill. Mr. Speaker seems to want it dead for whatever reason and after 8 months of unemployment I see only a bleak future for those not working.

I do hope that the Veterans that are unemployed ( that number is 22% for Vets discharged in the last 6 years ) are able to have their EUC made available. These are vets that most likely served in Iraq and Afghanistan or both. To turn their backs on these heroes is shameful. So, Mr. Boehner when the Senate finally does pass the bill please remember our Vets that need help because they will remember you if you shoot the bill down and then you will be out of a job.

The total number is now close to 6 million people that are in need of the EUC benefits. That’s money that will go right back into our economy. Maybe if we lived in the Ukraine we would get help because living here in the USA is getting us no where. And believe it or not we do want to WORK, I know I do.

March 31st, 2014 @ 6:10 pm

Adding our prayers with yours! We pray that Mr. Boehner’s heart will be softened by the thunderous hand of God. That he will see! We are hard working people! We will recover somehow! We haven’t had a dime for 3 months. Our story is the same as everyone’s on here! Reading your posts helps us cope and not feel alone! We should declare a National Emergency for the Long Term unemployed…maybe someone would step up and provide some relief to the hard working Americans and Veterans that Built and protected this country on our backs! Where is our representation? Yeah, We’ll be voting Independent! Hang in there Community families Your being prayed for!

44. Susan
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:10 pm

All politician just line there pockets live off of us get everything free don’t have to pay for taxes or insurance and take free vacations help only when it helps them they don’ t care about us that’s why the rich keep just getting richer hope you enjoy your free vacation Mr Boehner while we were trying to pay are bills and hoping to have some food to eat and hoping to keep a roof over are heads your vacations was more important and for the very few that do care you know it’s true

45. Gina
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

The members in office are mostly made of Millionaires – how are they going to relate to me and my family? Do they know what it is like to have their car repossessed, be evicted from their home or having to put their kids to bed with no food? I say we take all of Congress and reduce their salaries to minimum wage and see how they like it and then get some middleclass representation.

Congress Is Now Mostly A Millionaires’ Club – Jan. 9, 2014

Andrew Katz @katz

For the first time, more than half of congressional lawmakers are worth at least $1 million

Congress is loaded, if you weren’t already aware.

The Center for Responsive Politics analyzed the personal financial disclosure data from 2012 of the 534 current members of Congress and found that, for the first time, more than half had an average net worth of $1 million or more: 268 to be exact, up from 257 the year earlier. The median for congressional Democrats was $1.04 million and, for Republicans, $1 million even.

To calculate the net worth of lawmakers, the Center added together members’ significant assets, such as corporate bonds and stocks, then subtracted major liabilities such as loans, credit card debt and property mortgages.

Here’s the breakdown: the median net worth for all House members was $896,000 (Democrats averaged $929,000 to Republicans’ $884,000) and, for Senators, $2.5 million. The median net worth for Senate Democrats was $1.7 million, down from $2.4 million in 2011; for Republicans: $2.9 million, up from $2.5 million in 2011.

Richest and Poorest Members

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), the chairman of the House Oversight Committee who made his millions in the car alarm business, was the richest lawmaker in Congress with an average net worth of $464 million in 2012.

The least-wealthy member was Rep. David Valadao (R-Calif.), who reported an average net worth of negative $12.1 million. Valadao is in the red, the Center found, due to loans for his family’s dairy farm.

Who’s Investing In What

The group also analyzed the members’ investments. General Electric was the most popular holding; the minimum Democratic investment was $927,777 and the smallest Republican investment was $2,130,657. The top five rounded out with Wells Fargo, Microsoft Corp., Procter & Gamble, and Apple Inc.

The full list of 2012 personal financial disclosures from members of Congress can be found here.

46. Jesse
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

That was a typo, they meant to type *December 28 2014.*

47. H Baker
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:33 pm

I have been working since I was 16, I lost my job last year due to cut backs. After exhausting my reg unemployment I have been unable to secure a job. I decided to go to truck driving school, but being several hrs from my home, I would have to get boarding and food while going to classes. The classes were for 6 months straight and my emergency unemployment would of just covered the full time. Thanks to this issue with the emergency unemployment I have had to postpone my classes indefinitely and also lost 250$ deposit in the process. Now I am still jobless, lost the insurance on my vehicle, about to lose my home, and like another fellow, am resorting to ramen noodles and other food stuff. I had a job offer this past week but due to living way out in the boondocks with cabs costing 50$ or more, I have no way to even start a job…no money.

48. Amy
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:42 pm

I have worked all my life. I had back surgery and lost my job. I have two kids ans struggling. I don’t know where else to turn or what to do. How do you explain to your kids they’re going to be homeless. How do you tell them there is no water to bathe. How do you tell them we have no lights. Especially when your all they look up to. Please I pray pass the EUC this week. This waiting is what is making the economy worst. Maybe the Senate can take on a family and help pay some of our bills.

49. James
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:47 pm

I’m about to sell a kidney for gas money…. They will bail out so many that need there help. What about there own people, oh yeah were not another country, or a big banking corporation, or someone who made a million dollars yearly. Don’t forget about the millions of dollars in benefits that were paid to prisoners in prison, who’s held accountable, that’s probably under the rug by now. I’m pretty sure they didn’t take only six months of insurance out of our checks, and that’s the only reason It’s 100% federally funded, because the money that came out of our checks were spent were they saw fit somewhere else. What awful monsters to let people suffer like this, homes lost, children hungry, lives ruined. Wouldn’t want them to miss another vacation or recess, how fitting, recess, they are acting like spoiled children!

50. John McCormick
    March 31st, 2014 @ 6:49 pm

Of course they may vote not to pass the UIE, they aren’t the ones going without pay. Take their pay away and see how quickly it would pass, even for a pay raise.

51. Donna
    March 31st, 2014 @ 7:09 pm

I too need the $ for now- I would rather be working and my self-esteem is dragging on my heels….the government doesn’t really care- they may act like it but it’s all about them-they shouldn’t be allowed to take breaks!
    luck to all of you who are scraping by-keep the faith :)

52. Maria
    March 31st, 2014 @ 7:12 pm

We are not asking anymore, we are desperate for your response. How can you sleep at night with so many lives weighing on the balance of just a little help. Help we have all worked for. May God forgive you.

53. Milly
    March 31st, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

I am really pissed off at our government. We as hard working, taxpaying citizens should not have to be begging the government to pass an extension like if they were gods! Its just terrible to think that our own government does not care of its citizens. They don’t care of the single mothers who are trying to put food on the table and the father who is about to lose his home! I mean how do they sleep at night? But God’s judgment will come upon these people!!!! They take their sweet old time while we drown in our own tears thinking how to pay rent! I am 54 yrs. old have been unemployed since 5/2013. I Have been depending on support from my friends and family but it gets to a point where you just can’t keep on asking your friends and family to help you with rent, etc. because they have their own financial problems as well and their own families to take care of.

54. Tina Hinton
    March 31st, 2014 @ 7:24 pm

I have worked since I was 15 years old. I have had “blind spots” in employment to raise my children, earn degrees in higher education as well as earn certifications to improve my professional background. But none of that matters when you lose your job and can’t find work for whatever reason which is what happened to me April 19, 2013. I am from the Bronx, NY am African American, female, and 56 years old. Statistics last week indicated the Bronx, NY rated last in a study of 62 areas nationwide for economic stability/education/hunger. I am not lazy and would rather work than go back on Public Assistance which is what some have recommended I do. I love to work and would rather go back to work than not. Although I have been able to do some of the many needed things around my home that I neglected while working there is nothing like a regular paycheck. Unemployment benefits helped pay my rent, pay for groceries, and cable as well as other things. Income tax refunds only last for so long, and should not have been used as income. Please sign that bill and help American citizens who need it until we can get back out there doing what we love to do WORK!!!!!

55. Milly
    March 31st, 2014 @ 7:25 pm

Thank God I believe in God almighty and He will supply all our needs! I have trust in God almighty that this bill will pass. Lets have faith in our Creator. Nothing is impossible to those who believe!!!!

56. BOB MANTZ
    March 31st, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

we need help now NOW

57. Marie Klymkiw
    March 31st, 2014 @ 7:42 pm

Do any politicians read these comments? Do they not see how bad it is for the once always working/unemployed man???

58. Dottie
    March 31st, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

I’ve been unemployed for 17 months and among the rest of you been cut off as of Dec 28th, 2013 I have worked all my life and loved what I did for a living. Now here I am too praying for just some help to keep the home I promised the bank I would pay for and a roof over my little doll’s head. I pray they see we the little people want to continue to live too. I’m not asking for the rest of my life a RIDE; I want to work its just not there for the taking :( Good luck all…

59. jammer66
    March 31st, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

Well in other countries they would of started a riot by now but our country is full of pansies

60. Lynn
    March 31st, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

I have been a lifelong Republican but after this, I don’t know if I can support them. When I lost my job Nov. 2013, I received 4 months of unemployment benefits. They ran out and now I have no job and no benefits. I may lose my car. THEY NEED TO PASS THIS BILL FAST. Do the right thing. DO NOT give billions to other countries, give my tax money that I have been paying since I was 16 back to me.

61. licia
    March 31st, 2014 @ 9:45 pm

I’m in the same boat as everyone here. I had to swallow my pride, deal with mistreatment and unprofessional behavior by the workers but I went to welfare to get them to pay my back rent or I would be homeless right now. I would suggest the same for anyone here facing evictions or foreclosures. They will pay your mortgages to help you keep your home’s. Go to your local office now before it’s too late. I would also say DON’T GIVE UP GOD IS GOING TO SEE US THROUGH.

62. Walter
    March 31st, 2014 @ 10:08 pm

I don’t know about anyone else, but I would be up for camping out on the White House lawn. I’m not tech savvy enough to get out the message. Maybe if they had to see who is being affected, they would do something. I know not everyone could make it to Washington, but what about sit-ins at our individual State capitols, all at the same time. They’ll be going on a two-week break the 10th of April, and if they don’t do it before that, they probably won’t since the extension will only last through May anyway. That’ll be the next excuse they have.

63. EuCdumped
    March 31st, 2014 @ 10:16 pm

Amen!Pay the people now! Maybe we would have jobs if they would have passed it. SOONER!!!! Now we sit cause no gas food! Hell I had a call the other day for an interview 50 miles away. I had to decline. Then I sat and cried. Cause if I could a I would a! Now the phone is shut off, im couch surfing. And oh yea Im gonna be fined cause I cant afford health care! THanK-you

64. ron
    March 31st, 2014 @ 10:42 pm

mr /P/ please pass the extension.ihave 5 kids and have given 32 years of my life to building roads and highways to help people get to work.now the people on my side of the work force need help.so please pass the extension .my kids cant wait”;;

65. Roz
    March 31st, 2014 @ 10:59 pm

I have been working since 16 years old. I’ve been out of work for 6 months. Yes, fortunate to have gotten interviews but, they are not hiring the 55 year old worker. It’s heart breaking…I don’t qualify for government assistance or discount on health insurance. Unemployment benefits ended…now what? How do we survive? Please pass the bill!

66. Sue
    March 31st, 2014 @ 11:10 pm

I also need this. Worked all my life and got one check on my first extension when it was cancelled. I have had to borrow from family to keep the lights on and bare minimum of groceries. By end of may, I will also lose my home. I look for work every day and now can’t even buy gas if I get an interview. Praying it will pass the Senate Tuesday and move quickly and pass in the house. Only has 8 days until the next recession then we have to wait until 4/28. I know I won’t get any sleep this week either!

67. Chris Taylor
    March 31st, 2014 @ 11:35 pm

Why are no news stations covering this?? Everything is important but this?? It’s horrible for people and no one is reporting!!
    What is going on?

68. John
    March 31st, 2014 @ 11:37 pm

We the people those not apply anymore. Government is run by career politicians that have no clue of the struggles regular citizens go thru. It’s sad how Ukraine is more important to the congress and the house of representatives than their own citizens. John Kerry went to Ukraine and offer monetary help. How can you help another country and not help your own people first. We should stop sending billion of dollars to other countries every year. What are we getting in return. We give billions of dollars to Pakistan in aid but we don’t trust their government. It does not make sense how our government waste our tax money. We need a complete change in our government. We need to return the power to the people. It’s crazy how we want a change but we keep putting the same people in power and expect a different result. Shame on us by believing in a change that will never happen if we keep putting the same people in power. Republican or Democrat we need not to care of a political party we need to vote for the most qualify individual for the job we need to get done.

69. DJ
    April 1st, 2014 @ 12:02 am

Why do they always have too wait till the
    end of the week to do anything ??

We need a younger US Government that works
    for the people of the United States. Not
    the WORLD !!!

70. Ms Brown
    April 1st, 2014 @ 12:05 am

the media is not reading these posts…
    Everyone send your comments to Ellen and see if we can get her to re-tweet and blow up twitter for something important!

Maybe congress blockers would respond positively if they thought Ellen would embarrass them?

71. Rockman
    April 1st, 2014 @ 12:17 am

They ALL are dragging their feet on this extension. It’s Monday March 31,2014 and the Bill still sits in Congress. Why?? I would bet to say they Congress has more important things to take care of first. Ukraine and where to vacation at in a few weeks. This Bill won’t hit the House till Thursday or Friday end of week. That’s where the unemployed Americans stand in our Government. The end of no where. The D want to keep the R in hot water until all Americans boil with so much hate for the R come election time. It’s a game. And ALL of these leaders on both sides are at fault. Oh Obama you hear nothing about this. He bailed on all of us, and sent his wife and kids on vacation to China on our tax money. Looks to me A LOT of our taxes pay for A LOT of vacation time for these folks. Work 2 weeks off a week with pay, then repeat again and again until end of year. Sorry I missed quoted as saying work 2 weeks. Meant to say come to the office for 2 weeks to do nothing then go on a payed vacation supplied by the tax payers. Need to rid ALL of these clowns both R and D.

72. Ms Brown
    April 1st, 2014 @ 12:54 am

congress just rushed a bill thru the house and senate to aid doctors from taking a cut in pay from medicaid! It’s just the 17th time they made such a temporary fix while debating over the long term solution.

Now ask yourself… why Boehner can’t do the same for UI Extensions? Why he demands long term fixes and payments and jobs NOW for UI to be extended? Could it be because no wealthy, campaign contributing doctors are negatively impacted?

73. Steve Gordon
    April 1st, 2014 @ 1:44 am

Its a very sad time in america when we dont take care of our own…@65 lost job worked 50 years dec ue dropped irs and state both want money now maybe they will split my meager ssi

74. SK
    April 1st, 2014 @ 2:03 am

It is important that we vote in November. I think we all see what is going on. I intend to vote out every setting politician. Party does not matter. Both are playing game with our lives. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS LETS FOOL THEM ALL! Vote them all out with me. Also, Who out there can start a list to limit the term of our Congress?. 4 years is enough!! Then they will start to listen to the people. I am sure we could get millions to sign a form agreeing to limiting their term. Then we send the list to every media source,the Congress and the President. If we don’t act now we will continue to get more of the same kind of treatment. Congress approval rate is down so low the time is perfect to act. We need some one who has strong computer skills,a leader and is motivated to make change happen!

75. Lilia Ontiveros
    April 1st, 2014 @ 2:21 am

u know, Boehner…. you are a piece of shit. instead of looking for some way to resolve this and take care of your fellow americans, you act like you’re so mighty and powerful… waiting for the democrats to find the solution for your approval. get off your lazy ass and do the work you’re paid to do so we can all eat a decent meal. people are starving. you’re going to burn in hell

76. Larry K
    April 1st, 2014 @ 2:28 am

They are doing the same thing they have been doing all along…..DELAY..DELAY..DELAY!!!!!
    Every week they say, “a vote will be sometime this week”. Same ol story!! I don’t see how this is going to all happen before they go on ANOTHER VACATION!!! They are all playing games with us. I am so SICK OF THIS!!!!

77. Larry K
    April 1st, 2014 @ 2:33 am

We need to fire everyone in Congress and the House. Forget Dem’s and republicans. Both parties suck!!

78. Jaime
    April 1st, 2014 @ 2:46 am

I am completely horrified with what’s happening in our Gov. Everyone making comments need to call Washington, the congress and senate, FLOOD their lines, email, TWITter, facebook, use social media to create a stir. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!! I’ve been working all my life, got on Unemployment for a couple of months, extensions were exhausted…What a crock!!!!! People raise your voices, WE as citizens can create this change.

79. StillSome
    April 1st, 2014 @ 4:19 am

We need the benefits restored asap….no NOW! No more procrastination, no more recess until this bill is passed. People are starving out here… right here in America! The same people who paid their taxes, fought in wars for this country, given to charity, and now have to beg for help…. for shame.

80. Becky
    April 1st, 2014 @ 4:49 am

I have read everyone’s comments, and also can’t figure out why Everyone in Congress doesn’t agree to passing this for the Americans! Their professionalism doesn’t seem to show when some are claiming that “we will become dependent on unemployment”! If anyone dares to read all of these Citizen’s comments; (Boener), then they would see how we are Not lazy, and many have children, and others served the military! I am the only one working in my household, my husband had recent knee surgery from a “hit and run” accident, and is now going to have another surgery April 14th for a knee replacement. I recently just received my Bachelor’s Degree, and also received my yearly .27 cent raise; but I can’t afford to pay everything on my income. My husband lost his job after the car accident and had to receive unemployment, in which it stopped in Dec. of 2013. We are having to borrow money, received food stamps, got help with utilities, have almost been evicted several times, but still trying to pull through. I am praying for us, and EVERYONE else who is hoping for this to pass, SOON!
    Amen!

81. ED H
    April 1st, 2014 @ 5:56 am

I LOST MY HOUSE MY CAR AND MY DOGS I CANT DO THIS MUCH LONGER PLEASE GET IT DONE

82. mary
    April 1st, 2014 @ 6:36 am

they let us live 3 months in the coldest winter ever recorded. let 3 million go hungry and homeless along with their children. now i read all the desparation of the millions cut off after the 1st quarter of 2014. leaving an estimated 7 million to suffer. john bohner is history. distroyed his own career. he will be lucky to escape without very dire consiquences. he has 7 million ppl hating him. he didnt help the millions in winter who are now unable to even look for jobs in 20 below 0 temps. and he will not help the millions now either. it will never be brought to a vote in the house. he wont bring it to a vote. even if by some miracle it were to pass the republican dominated congress it could take months to recieve benefits due to the huge backlogs the states would be burdened with. capitalizm does not work in this country anymore whether the country was founded on it or not. it dosnt work and never will again. the oportunities for everyday americans are NOT there PERIOD. socialism is the only way. there are no jobs. there is no middle class. and the country cannot be held up by 1 PERCENT of americans with the other 99 percent poor.

83. beachbg62
    April 1st, 2014 @ 6:39 am

Go to John Bohners face book page and tell him how you feel. He is a sick man, How he can be so cold and hateful.

84. S. Pearl
    April 1st, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

John Bohner does not care about us so long as he get’s what he wants. I do not understand why we can’t fire for not doing his job. We would be fired from a company if did could not do our job. Why is Congress allowing this. There should be some sought of legislation that allows Americans to have a say not just this political group of politicians that do whatever they want. How about we freeze there salaries until they make a decision for the American people.

85. sr
    April 2nd, 2014 @ 1:52 am

Unbelievably. This Boehner is the worst of humanity. He is the speaker of house. If president Obama is unable to govern we will be stuck with this pompous, sick slime. This is our monies. I paid my taxes. My taxes paid his salary.