Posted on | March 28, 2014 | 14 Comments

Today’s unemployment Benefit news review and extension update March 28, 2014:
Although the Senate is expected to pass the unemployment benefit extension deal soon, it has not yet happened. Senate lawmakers have been back from recess now for almost a full week, but despite the claims that the unemployment benefit extension legislation would be a top priority upon their return, policymakers have still not voted to pass the legislation through the Senate. Many worry that Senators may now struggle with recent criticism of the bill. One vocal voice of opposition has been House Speaker John Boehner. Boehner has repeated more than once that the current deal is unworkable, not implementable, and not a job creator. His criticism has sparked additional debate regarding the current deal awaiting Senate vote and worry is on the rise for millions of Americans who are out of work and out of federal unemployment benefits. GOP Rep. Devin Nunes recently stated that the current deal in the Senate will actually “encourage unemployment.” Even Joe Heck, R-Nev. has said that there are problems with the Senate deal to extend unemployment benefits. Heck’s comments come all while his state holds the second highest unemployment rate in the country. The situation is tumultuous, but the Senate took a necessary step last afternoon. The Senate did vote to end a filibuster against bringing the bill up for debate. The vote to end the filibuster against bringing the bill up for debate cleared with ease by a 65-34 outcome. Ten Republicans voted to advance the bill so that it can be brought to the Senate floor. The bill will now be debated in the Senate and may be cleared through the Senate by next week’s end.

Comments

14 Responses to “Unemployment Benefits; Extended Unemployment and Emergency Compensation Update; March 28, 2014; Vote to Debate in Senate Passed”

1. Larry K
    March 28th, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

Their are millions of hard working Americans that are counting on this extension to get their lives back in order. So many have already lost what they have worked for all of their lives. It is so wrong that this bill continues to be delayed. The republicans that are not supporting this bill need to remember that these millions of people that they are hurting will be voting in November. Many of these people have always voted republican in the past. The republicans think that this will not affect them at the polls this November. They have no clue of what people are going through who have been affected. If they continue to block this bill from passing, they are going yo hear the voice of the people at election time. The first one that has hot to go is John Boehner. He claims the bill is unworkable and that it will not create jobs. He also says it would be to difficult and costly to implement. He thinks that is a good enough excuse to put millions of people and their families out in the street. We need to all remember this at voting time. If the house does vote on the bill we will see how each one of them will vote. The ones that try to block the bill are the ones that need to be replaced in November.

2. JUDITH L
    March 28th, 2014 @ 1:29 pm

JOHN BOEHNER NEEDS TO BE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE. WHERE DOES HE GET OFF TRYING TO BLOCK THIS BILL. I WROTE TO PRESIDENT OBAMA THIS WEEK HOPING HE CAN HELP THIS SITUATION. DOES THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE HAVE SO MUCH POWER THAT HE CAN DO THIS? THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HAVE LOST THEIR JOBS THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN. I MYSELF LOST MY JOB IN JUNE BECAUSE THE WONDERFUL COMPANY THAT I WORKED FOR CLOSED OUR STORE, SPORTS AUTHORITY. I HAVE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS FOURTEEN YEARS OLD, I AM NOW 60 YEARS OLD. I HAVE NEVER COLLECTED UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS TIL NOW, THROUGH NO FAULT OF MY OWN. SOMEONE NEEDS TO STEP IN AND STOP BOEHNER!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!

3. sandra
    March 28th, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

please think about all of us who need this help to keep our homes and we need this to help pay for the gas to look for a job `its not alot but it helps out = thank you

4. Bill Walty
    March 28th, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

Boenher is the most negative politician. The only words out of his mouth is “it will never work”, “we are all doomed”, ” it’s their fault not mine” if I ever want to organize a pity party he will be invited and elected president. Boenher only acts for the wealthy and that is it, not the people who voted for him what is he going to tell those people come election time? He needs to be voted out of office ans stripped of all his wealth, lose everything all his family, house, cars or live out of it where the repo man can’t find it bounced checks, over due bills. How is going to buy cigarettes and booze? Mr. Boehner hit the streets and walk in our shoes and live it for 90 days all the while trying to find a job that you got let go of after years of hard work and work part time with no benefits and at minimum wage. There is your reality check the unemployed are not lazy politicians are lazy what is it you actually do besides say no?

5. Mike Kelly
    March 28th, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

Cleared next week! These idiots go on another recess for 2 weeks starting 4/10/14 right? This a so shameful and the fact that these elected officials talk about Ukraine people suffering and place that bill on fast track proves once again that the American people are being used as political pawns in this election year! It’s a crime and both parties are guilty! 2014 and my vote will reflect this disgust as well as in 2016!

6. mel
    March 28th, 2014 @ 2:35 pm

It’s clear repulican boehner nazi-up-ed he don’t care who’s paying taxes who need support to pay more tax it’s clear that residents/citizens are not happy with even collecting unemployment it’s not a job unemployment it’s worries everyday you look job it’s one day more streesful without a job we understand job are scarce but not to give in to recession.

7. dee
    March 28th, 2014 @ 3:37 pm

This is so upsetting. Don’t they realize that we will not get rich on this amount of money. It is needed to feed our children, stay one step-ahead of losing our home, car, and utilities. The money is not hoarded away! Every penny is spent as fast as it is received. I am a young 56 years old. Have paid 40 years into unemployment, the one time I need it, it’s gone. I have put in numerous applications, had 3 interviews. Now, I can’t drive my car, insurance has lapsed. I put my applications in at the library, internet is gone. If I’m called for an interview, I borrow the money from my 80 year old mother, should not be this way. If you have a caring bone in your body for the middle-class, where most of us worked for our dreams, please extend the unemployment benefits.

8. Linda
    March 28th, 2014 @ 5:37 pm

John Boehner is Pharoah. John Boehner Im calling on you to Let my people go. Do you know the bible at all. Go read the book of Exodus and read what happened to Pharoah.

9. Charles
    March 29th, 2014 @ 5:36 am

FYI . . . You do not pay unemployment from your pay check. Your employer pays $$$$ for unemployment towards all employees by the quarterly payroll figures, You do not pay in at all.

I am also unemployed since June 2013. I was co-owner in a company in Florida and a national company won our contract. We had 18 employees and all are still unemployed . . . NO JOBS OUT HERE! Florida reports that people that are on or applying for unemployment are way down. The reason that they are way down is:

1- persons who was on unemployment or euc, benefits ran out, cancelled or reduced to 16 weeks. They keep you in the system for 1 yr and you can not re-apply for a year term.

2- the persons that lost benefits are not counted on any unemployment stats by the state or by federal agencies by any means . . . so the unemployment rates are a low time low. Show the real data and concentrate on the USA people and stop aiding other countries . . . FIX YOUR OWN HOUSEHOLD FIRST!

10. Susan
    March 29th, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

There is no excuse for not getting this passed as a top priority next week. Shame on you Senators. I have a question though… WHAT HAPPENS AFTER MAY 2014??. Situations will end up the same. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS DISCUSSIONS TO EXTEND BENEFITS PAST MAY?

11. Ro
    March 29th, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

-Please help….the people saying no is easy to say..They Have Jobs…I Really do want to work..there is nothing out there right now..Please help Feed my Family….just Please Help…

12. S. Pearl
    March 30th, 2014 @ 3:43 pm

I am sick of this government and excuses of not having enough money to take care of us and also our veterans but we have a lot of money to send overseas. What politicians are getting rich on this deal?

13. Mike Halper
    March 31st, 2014 @ 3:18 am

Fire all poloiticians today take their jibs now ban them from anyhy unemployment bastards they give Ukraine 1 billion bullshit. Doe any other coiuntry give billions away and ignore their own people we need to vote out John asshole Boehner and most of Gop and demand our govnt helps us forest and cuts all foreign aid,Pakistan nhates us iran iraq hates us egypt hates us and we give these countries billions what do hey give us do for us , This is BULLSHIT I AM 62 BEEN IN IL WHOLE LIFE POLITICIANS AND RICH PEOPLE ARE DESTROYING THE WHOLE USA PEOPLOE WILL REVOLT SOON ARE PISSED OFF TAKE THEIR JOBS NOW, WHY CAN;T OBAMA PUSH THIS THROUGH TO HELP UN EMPLOYED STOP FOREIGN AID HELP OUR PEOPLE NOW

14. Maria
    March 31st, 2014 @ 4:26 am

Linda. I wrote Boehner and called him Pharoah also. I just don’t understand this.They are passing a bill for Ukraine, but won’t help the unemployed Americans. My question is if the HOR vote against the extension can President Obama finally do something. I must admit I don’t know the full process, but Ive learned a lot since Ive been unemployed. He’s the president why can’t he step in and override them. That part is confusing to me.When its all said and done God still reigns and he’s in control. Only God can change the republicans COLD BLOODED HEARTS, and yes it can be done. Keep TRUSTING, BELIEVING AND HOLD ON TO YOUR FAITH.