Posted on | March 23, 2014 | 29 Comments

Unemployment benefit news and emergency compensation update today March 23, 2014:
Tomorrow, the Senate will reconvene after being out on a week long recess. Legislation awaits their return and millions of Americans are focused on the current unemployment crisis. Over 2 million Americans remain unemployed without long term emergency compensation and the numbers continue to grow with each week that passes. The unemployment rate just recently ticked higher again to 6. percent and the economic recovery in the U.S. does not appear to be moving swiftly. The economic recovery process is not recovering soon enough and Americans suffer without federal aid as a result. Prior to the Senate’s week long recess, lawmakers appeared in agreement and were ready to vote the most recent long term unemployment benefit extension plan through. The deal was proposed by a contingent of Democratic and Republican lawmakers and will extend emergency unemployment to the long term unemployed through May. The deal is expected to be retroactive as well. Some Americans have been without benefits since they expired in December of 2013. The Senate vote was expected to get the Republican support necessary for safe passage, but now concerns, conflicts and volatility appear to be growing. House Speaker John Boehner is the primary suspect and has publicly stated that the deal is not workable. Boehner says that the deal should be dropped because it is neither financially responsible nor is it legislation that will promote job growth. The uproar over the legislation’s “unworkable” nature could affect proceedings in the Senate when lawmakers return tomorrow. Over 2 million Americans will be watching closely this week as the extension developments continue to unfold.

Comments

29 Responses to “Could Boehner Derail EUC Unemployment Benefit Extension; Long Term Unemployed Hope Senate Votes Yes to Extended Aid”

1. Bob
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 10:34 am

Just keeps making excuses. Sober up Bonehead and do the right thing!

2. Denise
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 11:11 am

I am unemployed at this time. I am also 59 yrs. old. I have worked all my life. I have also have been looking for work. My 26 weeks of unemployment ends at the end of April. I am an American I have paid my taxes all of my life and I continue to pay them out of my unemployment. I will soon be joining the Millions of people you don’t care about. You need to pass the Unemployment Extention Bill and pass it for the same amount of time 99 weeks as you did for people in 2010 and give us the same chance to find a job you gave all of them. If you want you can provide us all with a job so we can keep our homes, pay our bills and feed our children. I know you can’t do that so stop lieing and making excuses as to why you won’t pass the bill.we voted for you so you work for us you know us the American people we do not work for you!!!! start doing your job!! Take the monies back from the other countries you take 5 minutes to approve then the EIU will be all paid for. You need to find where you packed your heart blow the dust off and put it back where it belongs for at least 5 minutes. you need to pass the unemployment Extention and also pass it for the same Two years as in the past!!!!

3. MarioR
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 12:39 pm

Wow, just when I thought they had finally come to their senses in steps John, a cynical nitpicker to stick his Boehner up the backside of the American people in trouble. I say trouble because this is no longer a matter of assistance, congress has seen to that. In all their debate and breaks, and role calls and adjournments, simply put, they have put us all in a very precarious position. The program has ended back in Dec. as we all know from our reading and some 3 months have past the American people by. I know people who are presently dealing with situations like eviction, loss of utilities, crime and the simplest of them all HUNGER! Crime is on the rise. Their are more drug dealers then ever littered throughout my neighborhood per street corner. From the lying token puppet in the White house to the a-holes in congress, is anyone really taking a good look at the repercussions of our choices. And John, what say you stick that Boehner up your own backside and do your job to help the people of your district because i can assure you that this is not going to go over well at the polls for you in the coming elections because as we all know that’s the only thing you walking abortions have any concern for. Also is the fact that everyone I have come in contact with or polled to regarding this matter are asking for benefits to be extended. Excuse me for saying so but this is the MAJORITY. To hell with you butt clowns, let us vote on the matter or is it that the American people actually have no control over their own dam government. Dam Im pissed!!! So, if we the people ask to have benefits extended, EXTEND THEM!!!! Wasn’t this the concept for our government… The whole We the people thing… HELLO!!! Is this thing on???

4. Nancy B.
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

I also have been working ALL of my life paying into a system which is supposed to protect us in time of need. I for one can’t find a job on-line, very often the posts are out-dated and the positions already filled. I have always been able to obtain the first job I ever interviewed for, now I can’t even get an interview muchless a job lead. Our economy is not healthy so I don’t understand why the focus is on “job-training” and implementing more requirements to collect unemployment when the jobs just aren’t out there. IF it was possible to find a job, millions of Americans wouldn’t be sitting around waiting for Congress to give us a so-called hand-out. I think it is demeaning to place us in the same category as welfare recipients sponging off the government. We are being stripped of our dignities and treated like beggars.

5. Carmen Santiago
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 2:13 pm

I am 64 yrs. old lost my job after 28 years will be 65 in May. Please don’t punish me for working all my life and helping other thru all the taxes I have paid.

6. Mike Kelly
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

Congress, on both sides, need to STOP using the unemployed as pawns during this election year! It’s a crime!

7. Joe
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

Do these people have any idea what it’s like to go without income for 3 months? Any idea what it’s like to try to feed your family?

8. Laura Brown
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

I am totally shocked that Boehner and his followers care more about foreign countries and helping them monetarily but not the US citizens who have worked their whole life and paid their taxes..and I think our tax money helps pay their salaries. But our own country turns their back on us. I agree with all of the above statements..I am 64, lost my job due to a merger last May, my 26 weeks benefits expired the middle of Jan and here I am in deep trouble..have cold called companies, sent out hundreds of resumes..on and on. We need this extension. Thousands are out of work, about to lose their homes, cars and file bankruptcy..how is all of that going to help the economy???? Unemployment is not welfare.

9. Wayne Goodman
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 5:03 pm

I have worked a considerable portion of my life , paying taxes and paying into unemployment benefits. Now I’m being told that I can’t even have what I paid. There is something fundamentally wrong with our government when one party decides to stop what is right simply because they don’t want to give credit to “people chosen administration”. If John Boehner want the run the country then let him run for president instead of acting like he is. These partisan politics are doing nothing but hurting the nation as a whole. Get the EUI started again and show that the people are your focus.

10. mike
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 6:42 pm

I pray this week . The government this right !

11. mike
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 6:42 pm

I pray this week . The government gets this right !

12. Larry K
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 7:55 pm

Bohner is a real piece of work, isn’t he? He lies to the American people and says it is “unworkable”. We all know that it is very “workable”. He just keeps making any excuse he can come up with. This one is unacceptable. He is turning his back on Millions of people who are in desperate need of this extension. If he keeps it from passing, he will be responsible for millions of people,(including children and veterans)who will become homeless. Without this extension, it will be extremely difficult to recover back to being a productive member of society. How can someone go on a job interview when they cannot take a shower or wash their clothes because they are homeless? And the people who are lucky enough that they still have a home still will have a difficult time with no utilities or running water. You can’t take calls from employers when you don’t have a phone or internet. Doesn’t Boehner see the big picture here? This is ruining people’s lives! It gets worse everyday while they take vacation after vacation. They need to take everything away from Boehner, throw him in the street without a car or money, and tell him that until the extension goes through, he can live out on the street and struggle with everyone else. Think he would make it? He wouldn’t last 2 days. He would be crying like a baby and begging for forgiveness. If he blocks this extension, WE MUST VOTE HIM AND HIS REPUBLICAN BUDDIES OUT OF OFFICE!!!

13. Walter
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 8:11 pm

I’m wondering if the people in Ohio are paying attention at all. I bet if there were a whole lot of new democratic voter registrations in John Boehner’s district, he would pay attention. Those of us who would receive EUC understand that we are being helped, and know we are not entitled to it. It would certainly feel good to know the people representing us, do have the compassion we hoped they would, when we elected them. I see people in everyday life giving unselfishly of themselves, so I know the spirit of helping your neighbor isn’t dead yet. It’s about time to give the jobs in Washington to people that have that kind of character. We portray ourselves to the global community as the most caring, compassionate country in the world, how about showing that same compassion here at home?

14. Lola
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

I haven’t had an income since Dec 2013 I have no way of supporting myself or family.
    no jobs, no gas to look for one at the library..I guess family will take us in..thanks..I live in Ohio..

15. Caleb
    March 24th, 2014 @ 1:34 am

I am an Ohioan, and rest assured, I’ll be going down the list and voting for everyone that is not a republican this year. Thank you John Boehner for leaving me, and millions of others high and dry in their time of need. Sadly, even once voted out of office, you and the rest of the lost votes are still guaranteed your pensions, which you did not earn, and are still entitled. The system sucks, the system’s failed.

16. mike N
    March 24th, 2014 @ 3:15 pm

Omg …you want to send money oversae to help other ppl.. but you can help us at Home I an so sick of the Govt..playing games wit our Lives !!!!

17. Julie
    March 24th, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

I have read so many good responses. Is the government reading, too? Or have they forgotten how to read anything except “How This Will Line My Own Pockets Quarterly.” It’s time to get back to basics. Your own people need you now. Use your common sense.

18. Marilyn
    March 24th, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

PLEASE extend the benefits! I cannot pay for
    any utilities, mortage or insurance for car and
    house. I have no gas money for my car! Mostly
    I would like to eat! I am starving!

19. Stlouiskid
    March 24th, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

Any Republicans here?

20. Tee
    March 24th, 2014 @ 7:55 pm

Where is the President and the media in assisting the long termed unemployed? Why is President Obama and the media not consistently and actively voicing their strong objection to what Boehner and other Republicans are putting American citizens through. This is outrageous!! Enough already. As you would help those less fortunate who reside in foreign countries, HELP US!

21. O. Ramos
    March 24th, 2014 @ 8:19 pm

I was going to comment on this article, but in contemplating my remarks, my gastrointestinal fortitude threshold was overwhelmed with these politics of nowadays .
    This political system is broken folks.

I guess we all got what we deserve…we voted them in.
    After a few days/weeks/months and a few soundbites in the news we will all love our congressman/senator again. Sad. Or we will vote for a cookie cutter version of the last one.

The Rich ,(mostly corporations)are having a blast, they got what they paid for.

The politicians also got what they wanted, something to be lobbied for…and a great work schedule.

This world is going to Mega Hell in a rocket propelled hand basket.

What’s left of the middle class, you better wake up and smell the coffee…stop voting for idiot talking heads! Also, corporations ARE NOT people, people!

Good luck to us all…

22. Matt
    March 24th, 2014 @ 8:25 pm

So sick and tired of congress….The anger I’m feeling is overwhelming…I can’t find work and have only had 26 weeks…I would much rather be working…I hope what goes around comes around is true and the people responsible for holding up EUC extensions get what they deserve…

23. Delores F
    March 24th, 2014 @ 9:42 pm

I am 63 years old Have worked 3 jobs since I was 20. Never been without a job till last year. All 3 facilities I worked at closed and moved overseas, or else I would have stayed with the first job. I have sent resumes, went to different job sites, and even had interviews, but I do think due to my age they won’t hire me, I know they say they can’t discriminate due to age, but I had good interviews, and actually thought I would get the job because of my qualifications, but I didn’t I still continue to search for a job, but it would help if the government could just help us. I have never drawn unemployement till last year, because I got a job within a few days after the plants I worked at went overseas. Please give the extension. People with children need to be able to provide for their families. Mine are grown, but there are so many that still have children at home, and need the help,

24. Walter
    March 25th, 2014 @ 11:17 am

If there is one thing the American people can be accused of be lazy about, it’s voter participation. We should all send the message to Washington in November by not voting for anyone from either major political party. If it smells like crap it probably is. The amount of money spent to get a job, that pays far less, has got to make you wonder why. There are billions of dollars spent during election time, WHY? They play off of each other and the end result is that they get nothing done. We do not need extremists from either party making decisions about our lives. We need people who can recognize a bad idea even if it’s their own. It’s all about compromise to benefit the people overall. The EUC bill being presented at this point is a COMPROMISE, and still the extremist Republicans in the house are making excuses why it shouldn’t be enacted, and with some urgency. I would like to know if anyone has directions to where we older, overqualified, unemployed people are supposed to report, where we can just lay down and die, because it seems that is what they expect us to do.

25. Leon D
    March 25th, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

Its amazing how this republicans can vote to send money overseas and start wars,losing billions of dollars and can send money to other countries, when there are more than 5 million people without emergency unemployment, this is probably a far off estimates, considering the children an d families that are a part of this as well. WE NEED TO MARCH AND HAVE ALL OF OUR VOICES HEARD!!!!!!!!! THIS IS AS IF THE REPUBLICANS ARE SPITTING IN OUR FACES, LIKE WE ARE NO BODIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WILL NOT GET OFF OF THEIR ASSES AND HELP US UNTIL ONE OF US COMPLETELY LOSES IT AND START RIOTING AND GOING POSTAL ON PEOPLE, WILL YOU STUPID, SELFISH REPUBLICANS LISTEN THEN? WE NEED TO MARCH AND VOTE THESE STUPID BASTARDS OUT OF OFFICE!!!!! GLAD TO SEE THAT HEY SHOW THEIR REAL SIDE ( REPUBLICANS ) BEFORE WE ALLOW THEM TO TAKE OVER OUR WHOLE GOVERNMENT!!!!! CAN YOU ALL IMAGINE THE REPUBLICANS TAKING OVER THE HOUSE AND SENATE? THE DAY THAT HAPPENS, I WILL BLOW MY BRAINS OUT BECAUSE WE WOULD BE IN KNEE DEEP IN SHIT WITH THEM!!!!!! GO OUT THIS NOVEMBER AND VOTE DEMOCRAT OR INDEPENDENT SO THAT THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN, DISGRACEFUL ASS REPUBLICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Dan Arnold
    March 25th, 2014 @ 3:49 pm

I am in the exact situation and age as Denise. I could not have said it better so I am restating her comment

27. Shelly P
    March 25th, 2014 @ 5:12 pm

I have never voted Republican! I have different values. I would like to know if Boehner has had a recent mental evaluation? Is he drunk all the time? He looks like it.
    He works for us, Lets fire the SOB! He is not a REAL American. I’m not from Ohio, fortunately, I live in a “blue” state. As “his” employers, lets pull his income and benefits! Really give him something to cry about!
    Republicans in general are SO out of touch with the real Americans I have 45 years of voting Dem! OHIO, please get him out!

28. Tom Porter
    March 26th, 2014 @ 3:42 am

So What happened to the Media in all of this… nothing is mentioned in weekly news programs, let alone nightly news? What about Mr. Obama… he was going to make sure this happened or he would use his own powers? Didn’t take long to help foreign countries with our funds…

29. Kathy Landon
    March 28th, 2014 @ 6:19 pm

What Obama Should Do! Is! Fire John Boehner And The Other People! That Is Under Him. They? Are Not Doing There Job. So! The Sanete? Can Do There Job? 2.Million People? Needs That Money! To Come In Every Week. Ontil The Job’s? Get’s Strangthen Out.