Posted on | March 21, 2014 | 59 Comments

Today’s unemployment benefit extension news review and updated notes March 21, 2014:
Senate lawmakers will soon return from recess as millions of Americans anticipate quick action on the newest long term unemployment extension proposal. Many of America’s long term unemployed have been without federal aid since their benefits expire last December. The number of Americans now struggling with unemployment and without federal support is over 2 million. Right now, given the proposal that awaits Senate lawmakers, the plan is to extend long term unemployment through May and cover retroactive payments. Senate lawmakers were expected to pass the proposal but since going out on recess, conflicts have arisen. Due to recent conflicts brought to light, it is unclear if the deal will pass the Senate and then the House. House Speaker John Boehner may not be happy with the way that the deal is put together. He has said that the format of the proposal, and resulting warnings from various state officials, is cause for serious concern. Boehner went on to state that an unemployment benefit extension has always been open for debate and consideration, but the deal would have to be economically and fiscally responsible. The deal would have to create more private sector jobs according to Boehner. Boehner implies that the current deal shows little evidence of meeting the previously mentioned contingencies. As a result, Boehner believes a better use of the Senate’s time would be action which would pass the many House-passed bills that would aid in U.S. job creation. Given this developing news, the current unemployment proposal appears to have a more challenging road to travel to gain majority support.

Comments

59 Responses to “Unemployment Benefits for Long Term Unemployed; Extension Vote in Senate and House News Review on EUC”

1. Frank
    March 21st, 2014 @ 11:05 am

everybody who works In Washington should lose there jobs and not have any more money coming into there bank account. they do not care for the common people. they have all our money that we put into the system. they are living on our money. they should be fired and lose everything. they need to see what it feels like being poor.

2. steve
    March 21st, 2014 @ 11:28 am

This has become a joke to the clowns on capital hill .America has turned their backs to the people in need this was done purposely by our own government .SHAME

3. Sick
    March 21st, 2014 @ 11:52 am

They are quick to send money overseas to help other people but not the American people who really need it…

4. HILL eLIZABETH
    March 21st, 2014 @ 12:12 pm

You’ve given me money to go to school for training for a job. Now I have no way to get there. No money for gas.

5. owen
    March 21st, 2014 @ 12:46 pm

I think its a shame when American’s can’t get the help they need but the hill will give. To other countries with out question

6. Ronda
    March 21st, 2014 @ 1:17 pm

I am just in awe of how selfish the politician are concerning the needs of others, if its not to benefit what their agenda is it seems to not matter. How can a country so divided stand? I wish they take the saying “for the people” off their slogan and say “for myself” up and that way we won’t get confused about who cares!

7. Nancy B.
    March 21st, 2014 @ 1:37 pm

I wonder if “Boner” has ever missed a meal. Average hard-working Americans just want their creature comforts back, like paying the rent, utilities and buying food. They should all take a good look at the Welfare Program.

8. Jeanine in dyersburg,tn
    March 21st, 2014 @ 1:46 pm

I guess it’s a waiting game!It’s not a good feeling when a job say they are not hiring and then you have Mr.Boehner on the other end saying suffer. All there is to do is let God handle it, god didn’t bringus this far to leave us now,so I say to all that god has our back just keep praying.

9. cherie
    March 21st, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

Sad, that one person in government is making it so hard, for hard working Americans who have lost their jobs, trying to keep their heads above water in this economy, and deny federal unemployment benefits. Boehner shouldn’t have a job!!!!!!

10. jobless and now homeless
    March 21st, 2014 @ 2:10 pm

I’m tired of being on the roller coaster ride.. oh maybe I will get help…. hah, not this week. This is an example from ONE job site I use to submit applications. I’ve been unemployed for 19 months?.. I’m not lazy…but I’m homeless, borrowing a car, just finished my bankruptcy, and moved to another state to look for employment (leaving my kids behind with my ex). How much more do I need to go through?

Position Date Created Hiring Status
    Office Specialist 2 1/27/2014 Reviewing Applications
    Administrative Assistant 1 1/23/2014 Canceled
    Customer Service Representative 2 1/9/2014 Selection Complete
    Office Specialist 2 1/15/2014 Reviewing Applications

11. jobless and now homeless
    March 21st, 2014 @ 2:13 pm

I failed to mention, those are the applications I’ve submitted. Each of these positions is approximately an 70% pay cut from where I was….

12. Chris
    March 21st, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

What is wrong with our goverment, they do not care about the American people . Election time is coming !!!! Republicans need to be out !!!!

13. Kenneth J. Selwocki
    March 21st, 2014 @ 2:35 pm

…passing the unemployment benefit extension will give hope and allow those who are looking for work find work. A job creations bill will help in the days ahead but these funds are needed to help the people today (right now). When your sixty and over or late fifties, companies are not eager to hire you, these are the people who need this help – those who have worked all their lives! I just don’t get it – your not going to help your own? What has happened to this country?

14. Kenneth J. Selwocki
    March 21st, 2014 @ 2:43 pm

… you took a $6.5 Billion Dollar loss on the GM bailout and now GM has been hit with “not telling” the government about vehicle safety! And you complain that this UC benefit should be a paid for proprosition? Pass the extension! Real people need it and then tell GM you will be sending the bill to them.

15. Vivian Hoppe
    March 21st, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

This has become a real joke.Bohner does not have a clue.He needs to step into the real world. The power games that go on at the expense of the american people need to stop.Yes, I agree,take a closer look at the welfare system and don”t discredit the unemployed.Afterall,most of us have worked very hard and have fallen into a period of misfortune.

16. Ginny Kniseley
    March 21st, 2014 @ 3:37 pm

I agree with Elizabeth. I’m in the same situation. They were helping me go to school but when the extention was stopped so was my funding. I had to stop going to school. Also those of us that are beyond fifty are having difficulty finding employment. Now I’ve lost my car and I have no way to get to a job. Thanks Goverment.

17. Ginny Kniseley
    March 21st, 2014 @ 3:40 pm

I agree with Elizabeth. I’m in the same situation. They were helping me go to school but when the extention was stopped so was my funding. I had to stop going to school. Also those of us that are beyond fifty are having difficulty finding employment. Now I’ve lost my car and I have no way to get to a job. Thanks Government

18. Todd Nyquist
    March 21st, 2014 @ 3:44 pm

Just do it so the ones who can still save their homes can save them! It’s almost to late for me but I would like a fighting chance.

19. Mike Kelly
    March 21st, 2014 @ 3:48 pm

Our government is funding a study of male prostitutes in Mexico to see if paying them to use condoms reduces STDs — but we can’t afford extending UI for Americans????

20. mike
    March 21st, 2014 @ 4:07 pm

I am homeless and lost everything because of this. How can I find a job now .

21. John
    March 21st, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

It’s crazy how the government gives out money to other countries in aid but cannot help their own people. Shame on us by putting all those politicians in power that are in their own little world. We need to elect real people that know the struggle that regular citizens go thru. We don’t need silver spoon politicians. There are families making hard decisions with the little money they have left pay bills, rent, or food.

22. John
    March 21st, 2014 @ 4:49 pm

It’s crazy how the government gives out money to other countries in aid but cannot help their own people. Shame on us by putting all those politicians in power that are in their own little world. We need to elect real people that know the struggle that regular citizens go thru. We don’t need career politicians making decisions on issues that don’t affect them or their families. There are families making hard decisions with the little money they have left pay bills, rent, or food. Government is for the people and by the people. We need to get all those career politicians out from office.

23. Joe Ann
    March 21st, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

What does this John Boehner, know about going with a meal or no money to put in your car to get to a job interview. It is time the American people speak, think about who they want to elect into Congress & Senate in the next election. It is apparent that those Republicans could care less about the poor & middle class. They do not care if we are homeless with food or gas in our car, that is if you have a car to drive anymore.

24. Kevin
    March 21st, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

Even though this is the worst congress in history I will complement them on the one thing they are really good at. That is making each party look incompetent and heartless. And you can’t say they don’t work hard at that, in fact its their number one priority. A man gets hit by a car and is laying in the gutter clinging to life. A republican and democrat arrive on scene, which one calls 911 first? Answer, neither, they argue until the man dies.

25. jobless and now homeless
    March 21st, 2014 @ 5:45 pm

I firmly believe all members of our U S government should have term limits. When their time is up, they can look for a different job (and not walk away with their version of lifetime benefits). I also think WE (the people of the US) should be able to remove a member (not acting in our best interest) with a simple petition and a percentage of votes from the representing state…

26. Jacki
    March 21st, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

We will have to organize, unite and protest! We don’t have any options.

27. jobless and now homeless
    March 21st, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

Kevin – oh how right you are!

Thank you all for sharing your comments / situations. I feel less alone in my job search, and less of a loser… for a while anyhow. =/

28. Kevin R Landon
    March 21st, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

I Have Been Off Of My Job Since 2012. I Didn’t Ask For This? I Need That Unemployment To Help Pay The Bill’s? My Wife Is On Disability. And That Don’t Make Enough To Pay All Of My Bill’s? The Senit People! Stop This! Nay’s? And Help The People? So! They Can Try To Get Back To Work. They? Didn’t Ask For To Be Put On Unemployment! They Have To Me A Living To?

29. sandy
    March 21st, 2014 @ 6:43 pm

I think Bohner should be voted out..hes sure not for the ones that need the help..I think the republicans and him need to remember this is the United States..I think I will change to democrat,they seem to be human

30. Donna Fannin
    March 21st, 2014 @ 6:46 pm

How do I now pay for myhigh blood pressure meds, my antidepressants, (list my son in a drowning), find another job after losing mine to not being fluent in Spanish? No gas to look for a job….Im feeling more and more hopeless….

31. brenda bush
    March 21st, 2014 @ 6:57 pm

IF you are in your 20′s – early 40′s there is work in the oil fields in the Dakotas. It is hard work really hard work but it pays well.

Some companies are paying for your move —housing is an issue so I would recommend only one adult investigate in person.

IF you can do the work the Dakotas are the place to be.

Just trying to give a bit of positive suggestions.

32. gilbert gutierrez
    March 21st, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

AS YOU CAN SEE BY THE POSTING OF THE COMMENTS. THE SAME PEOPLE OUR POSTING THEM EVERY DAY, WHERE OUR ALL THE OTHER 2.5 MILLIONS PEOPLE,S, THAT FALL INTO THIS CATEGORY. MY SUGGESTION, WE NEED TO MAKE A VIDEO AND SHOW IT ON YOUTUBE, PEOPLE TELL THEIR STORE OF THEIR HARDSHIP AND HOW IT EFFECT THEIER FAMILY’S. SO IT MIGHT BE ABLE TO GO VIRAL, THAT ONE WAY WE CAN GET THE WORD OUT. PUT WERE ALL AMERICAN CAN SEE WHAT A FEW POLITICIANS ARE DOING, 2.5 MILLIONS PEOPLE AND GROWING EACH DAY SOME OF US. DOSE ANYONE NO HOW WE CAN GET THE BALL ROLLING ON THIS.

33. Rockman
    March 21st, 2014 @ 7:35 pm

Bohner is the problem not the solution. He has every excuse of why not to pass the extension to help Americans and their family’s. Bohner is anti- American against the unemployed and he works for us. LOL Too funny. In the real world if Mr. Bohner worked for a company he would have been fired by now. Company’s don’t want to hear excuses about why it won’t work. They want to hear and see positive results that helps the whole company move forward today. Turning your back on the people that did work and made this country is not a positive result or excepted. Your FIRED.

34. Ivan
    March 21st, 2014 @ 7:36 pm

This is now in God’s (or whatever higher power you believe in) hands. One positive, being un or underemployed and w/o bennies, we are o longer “employing” these things in Washington (people have feelings) things don’t Please, please, brothers and sisters, REMEMBER these times when the elections come. Every last one of them deserves to be out of a job. Rome is burning and Romans are suffering while the Nero’s in Washington fiddle away.

35. FIGHT BACK WITH NUMBERS!!!!!!!
    March 21st, 2014 @ 7:55 pm

Screw The House and lets take a stand on what’s really important to the American “want” to be working PEOPLE!!!!!

36. bobby I
    March 21st, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

I,M AT A LOSS FOR WORD. THIS HAS BECOME A JOKE.AND IF U R 57 LIKE I AM AN WORKED ALL YOUR LIFE, HELPING OTHERS AS I WAS ABLE BUT NOW I NEED THE HELP AND MY PARTY IS SAYING NO!!!! STOP THE BULLSHIT ON THE HILL,AND GIVE THE EXTENSION THEN YOU GUYS CAN FIGHT OVER ALL THE OTHER STUFF. MY VOTE WILL NOW BE DEM.,OR INDEPENDANT FOR NOW ON. SAY NO TO REPUBLICANS UNLESS THEY VOTE YES TO HELPING US[EXTENSION] I,M HURTUNG AND I NEED HELP. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO ROB A DRUG DEALER TO HELP PAY RENT???

37. bobby I
    March 21st, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

OH I FORGOT. BOHNER NEEDS TO GO. I WOULD LOVE TO SIGN A PETITION TO OUST HIM.HE IS HEARTLESS, SELFISH,AND TAKES OUT HIS HATERED OF THE PRESIDENT ON THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

38. Iris
    March 21st, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

I personally feel that we should start now and have John removed from his government position and allow him to be unemployed to see how he would feel to lose his job security and benefits. I am not looking for a hand out I have applied to countless positions and I am currently working a part time position making $7.25 just to survive. I lost my supervisory position due to no fault of my own and I resent how he wants the extension paid for in full yet the Republicans shut down the entire United States government last fall. where is his solution to pay for that or does he think we forgot those antics.

39. Boldo Tan
    March 21st, 2014 @ 9:03 pm

I don’t know what to say anymore. It’s a roller coaster ride with these lawmakers that really don’t care about their constituents. I am not sure if this extension will ever be ever approved but one thing I’m sure of, this is the day that it’s sad to be an American.

Seriously, I don’t give a damn anymore and I totally lost respect to Boehner and all of the lawmakers that don’t care about us.

40. John
    March 21st, 2014 @ 9:23 pm

The Republicans like John Boehner need to be removed he is doing nothing but being heartless and mean. We need to remove from office they don’t understand many people have been looking for jobs for a long time. We need the money to pay bill and to keep looking. Note; this bad winter didn’t help in the way of help people looking for a job. We are the people who vote we must remove them because they don’t care about our children and our love one who need to eat and we fight to keep a roof over heads.Mr. Boehner you are so wrong in not helping to pass the (EUC bill). So Mr. Boehner have a heart we need your help don’t let us down or we this could backfire on you!!!!

41. Kevin
    March 21st, 2014 @ 10:10 pm

Mr. Boehner is getting paid by the American tax payers but he is not working for them. His moral compass is as-cue. Only a completely selfish idiot would allow thousands and thousands of Americans to loose everything they have worked all their lives for while waiting for someone else to come up with a better plan to get them back into the work fold. Why can’t these things be done at the same time and minimize the casualties? The worst part is he is not just holding democrats back but a good part of his own party. Its almost like he has made a deal with the devil himself. His own party came up with a plan but that’s not good enough. Imagine being in a control tower and a large jet needs to make a crash landing and the controller won’t let it land until the terminal waiting area is finished being remodeled, all the time he’s watching the jet go down and all the people parish. This doesn’t make any since because its not how this should work. This looks worse and worse for all of these politicians everyday this goes on. This segment of the population are the strongest voters, they have brothers and sisters, nieces, nephews, sons, daughters, friends, they are doctors, attorneys, engineers, students, they are connected and educated. These American voters they are watching what is happening to their family members and it is very disturbing. If these guys are smart they will wrap this up and move on before things get worse. What are they going to say when Americans are lined up at the borders of other countries because there is nothing for them here in the US. Senators you need to protect these people, so get on with it.

42. Hard worker
    March 21st, 2014 @ 10:31 pm

I wish I had a job that goes on recess every other week. The SHIT must be nice, I’ve been hiding from my bills and my rent and I’m sick of this shit. D.C better hurry up and get this shit together.

43. Nancy B.
    March 21st, 2014 @ 10:45 pm

The only way we will get our unemployment benefits back is with “strings attached”. The problem is, if it takes months to implement these changes and the states are not financially able to follow-through without Federal funding, it will never happen. How many of us need “Job-Training”, especially Senior Citizens? Does that include all the millionaires who collect unemployment, (some 3 billion as I recall.)Then they want us to prove we are looking for work, as if it’s more fun to be down and out. Treating us like this is supposed to give us “incentive” to find work. We’d have better luck pandering so maybe that’s next?????

44. gilbert gutierrez
    March 21st, 2014 @ 11:30 pm

TIME TO VOTE ( JOHN BOEHNER) out of office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. Lisa from Washington
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 1:06 am

My Fiance has been unemployed since last July and actively looks for work. I was able to get a job working 50 hours a week, but it is not covering the bills due to the wage I had to take. He was laid off after abrupt cutbacks which the company knew they were going to do a year before. No warning to any of the employees, just “clean out your desk.” They were bought out by another company and cut the division that he worked for out of the business.

He is either overqualified or underqualified. Or, when he does list his salary requirements, the employer changes their parameters on the wage they will pay! We have worked with recruiters, he has applied at temp agencies, applied for freelance work, and done everything (and beyond) that he can and could.

We are at the point of nearly being out of a home because we cannot afford the rent. We have sold nearly everything that we have of value that we COULD sell as well just to make it to this point.

He has several interviews coming up, and between he and I we are looking at having 3 – 4 jobs just to make it due to the backup with out bills and debt. Even then, it is going to take awhile to dig ourselves out.

I agree with ‘jobless how homeless.’ Companies are just not hiring.

I do not understand why we cannot simultaneously have the retroactive unemployment extensions AND encourage companies to hire more people.

The reality is that positions for jobs have been consolidated. What used to be 3 jobs is now being done by one person and at a lower wage.

I would love to be able to have a Recess for two weeks and get off the treadmill of just trying to cover the basic bills and put Top Ramen on the table!

We were just going for the 1st tier of the Unemployment Extensions, and are sick of this.

We need that extension so we can make it until one of his jobs comes through. It is not a matter of if, but when.

Please pass the unemployment extensions, there are families in desperate need!

46. jobless and now homeless
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 1:19 am

Fight back with numbers has the right idea!, ==> Tell everyone you know in the same position to reapply starting Monday…

“FIGHT BACK WITH NUMBERS!!!!!!!:
    March 21st, 2014 at 7:55 pm
    If all current unemployed American’s would just re-file a claim with there state, the number of what the government is reporting for claims would sky rocket hands down. Even if your denied at least they have to register your claim and report it!!!”

47. Diane Svoboda
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 1:32 am

If the numbers of unemployed went down, it is because people are not claiming each week so the numbers are incorrect. I have been still applying every week and keeping my work search up to date. In this way, I am counted as unemployed even though I am not collecting since Dec. 28th because of the cancelled extensions. I will continue to claim because I am still unemployed. Have you seen any news stories about hardships due to this issue…NO…so it is pushed under the rug and our fellow Americans do not realize how people next door to them are struggling. We need news stories about this. It is the only way Congress will be forced to move on it.

48. James Northcutt-Swain
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 2:04 am

no more words…be prepared for the next episode..no more begging or being nice , you can not imagine what is coming next…only that you have created this and thru all eternity will regret what you have done.. may GOD have mercy on you souls..!!

49. James Northcutt-Swain
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 2:05 am

no more words be prepared for the next episode..no more begging or being nice , you can not imagine what is coming next…only that you have created this and thru all eternity will regret what you have done.. may God have mercy on you souls..!!

50. Danny
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

Listen to the people. There are very limited full time jobs out there. I do not care what the numbers say check the real world and find out the truth. And if you are a vet and older than 50 you are SOL.

51. chris
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 5:03 pm

This idiot mr. Bonehead says a better use of time wld b to pass job creation bills. Well why cant they do that after they pass a Euc Bill? How can anyone get to job interviews that may come as a result of those job creation bills. He also makes it sound like passing an EUC bill will take up so much time.. maybe if they dndt take so many recesses they wld have more thban enuff time for both. I cant stand politics and i consider myself an independent, but after this im leaning towards democrat more and more. I cant wait till election time to hear what excuses the republicans give for all this B.S. good luck everyone

52. Stephanie
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 5:35 pm

Most of us who have lost everything has nothing more to loose but you have lost my vote. To vote in someone who cares for the American people first before helping other countries. I am homeless food less car less n job less. N my kids are now in the system. What do you have to loose when election time has arrived. Due on to others as you would want done to you. Welcome back to reality.

53. Tim
    March 22nd, 2014 @ 6:50 pm

DID YOU HERE THERES NEW TOILET PAPER OUT IN THE STORES WITH JOHN BEOHNERS FACE ON IT,YOU CAN ALSO BUY ALL THE REPUBLICAN TOILET PAPER TOO…..

54. Jordan White
    March 23rd, 2014 @ 2:34 am

I’ll remember the choices congress makes to extend UI when it comes time to pay my 3844.00 tax bill by 4-15-14, if you dont want to show support to the people who pay you then I simply wont pay my 2013 taxes this year and with no assets to my name good luck collecting anything since I got no income either. SCREW YOU TOO CONGRESS!!!

55. Richard shaw
    March 24th, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

please stop making this a play toy for Republican and Democratics to fight with and think of the people who are losing their homes and vehicles
    please pass this bill asap. thanks

56. Karen
    March 24th, 2014 @ 5:29 pm

I have worked for 36 years. And received 26 weeks of unemployment. I confused. Where is all the money the government took from me over the years.

57. doug
    March 25th, 2014 @ 7:21 pm

Speaker Boehner American Traitor taking a beating on his own website for not extending unemployment to needy hard working Americans! Check out the comments! Leave him a comment on his Gov website!

58. doug
    March 25th, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

59. Juanice Cain
    March 27th, 2014 @ 3:04 am

I used to be proud to be an American now I am not so sure. I have always worked. I was laid off company down size. I was able to just get by with the assistance of unemployment. I didn’t realize this was only for 6 months. I have been on numerous interviews only to walk away even more discourage. Now with no money coming in I don’t have monies to travel to I interview. I can’t afford to put my clothing in the cleaner. You need a computer to find a job these days. Everything is internet oh by the way Congress that a cost as we’ll.

So far to date I’m about to loose so many of the things i worked so hard for. Let’s start with my house. My car is next by the time congress makes a decision I will have lost my life. Thanks for all your support should I say grief Congress. I hope you never loose your joke of a job.