Posted on | March 18, 2014 | 23 Comments

Unemployment Benefit Extension News Review and Update March 18, 2014:
Right now, the unemployment benefit extension plan is on the table, but lawmakers are not seated. Once again, the Senate is on recess for a week and will not return until March 24, 2014. Upon their return, reviewing the unemployment benefit extension plan proposal is expected to be a top priority. Before the Senate went out on recess, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said that he intends to take up the measure as soon as possible.
Many Americans waiting for Congress to pass an extension plan have been waiting since their benefits expired on December 28, 2013. It has been a long wait for these Americans, but just because the vote is expected to happen does not mean it is given that it will pass. A vote to pass an unemployment extension plan has failed several times already this year. In the Senate, 60 votes of approval will be necessary in order for the extension plan to pass. After this, the long term unemployment extension legislation would move on to the GOP-controlled House. The House would also have to take a vote on the measure before it could become law. The Senate vote is expected to be the easier of the two since the Senate has a Democratic majority and the current legislation was also sponsored by 5 Republicans. The House vote will have fewer Democrats to provide support and therefore, more Republicans will need to provide a vote of support for the bill to become law.

Comments

23 Responses to “Unemployment Benefit Extension Long term EUC, Unemployment Benefit News Update March 18, 2014; Will Legislation Become Law”

1. Jerry
    March 18th, 2014 @ 10:28 am

Congress schedule from December 2013
    Left Washington for Christmas 12-19-2013 not to return until 1-7-14 worked a week or two took off another week!
    February took 6 or 7 more days worked a week or ten days then took a whole week off again!
    Now in March left D C on March 14 .- 24th
    Talk about who is not willing to work!!!
    I know 2 million ++ that would love a job!!

2. Clos
    March 18th, 2014 @ 11:18 am

Really nice, they spend so much time in recess meanwhile Americans suffer, we have no money-stores not selling-all will have a bad domino effect, no good………

3. lisa marino
    March 18th, 2014 @ 11:36 am

Unfortunately foreign aide is given quicker than that bill is taking to pass.

4. CJ
    March 18th, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

Thanks Congress! Enjoy your week off while I enjoy my car being repossessed and imminent eviction looms – through no fault of my own. Thanks for screwing me out of something I’ve paid into my entire life. Thanks for leaving 2.3mil (last count) children starving with unemployed parents.

5. CJ
    March 18th, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

6. jay
    March 18th, 2014 @ 1:27 pm

they all should be forced to come in for this…

7. Joann
    March 18th, 2014 @ 1:43 pm

This should have not taken this long. When they write checks for foreign countries it doesn’t take long at all. People are hurting, it sure is hard to find jobs when you are over 50

8. Antonio E Solis
    March 18th, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

Not it would make a difference, no one listens, enough justification and identification is time for action. Republicans and Democrats play the blaming game while we suffer. Those anybody cares? When are we little people be noticed? I read an EBT recipient buys Champagne and Caviar with his food stamps, that made the news, struggling families are not even acknowledged the only news making history are acts of corruption and worse yet we allowed it. Don’t tell me who to blame, tell me who to thank.

9. Efrain Medina jr.
    March 18th, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

This reallly sucks…I’m so backed up on my rent, electricity bill, child support and a big debt at my corner store(than you Gil). Need this damn law pass.Finally going to second interview hopefully these guys will hire me. Another recess for the senate while we go into debt, homelessness, hungry. Praying to GOD that they pas this law to try to get back on my feet. To all my unemployed fellow Americans, just keep prayingvand don’t lose hope. There’s a light at the end of our tunnels. May God bless all of US….They also need to start charging The FEDERAL tax on all the big Corporation’s. ………

10. Fred
    March 18th, 2014 @ 2:23 pm

UNREAL- Lets worry about the Russian lovers in Ukrain- Countries that HATE us before our own people. WHAT HAPPEN TO OF BY AND FOR THE PEOPLE ???

11. Supra
    March 18th, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

Its proved that this government besides rep/dem doesn’t give a minimum importance from a real inside issues!
    They are in recess again they do deserve that
    “Hard working people!”
    Who ever goes upthere will do the same!
    I have no more words for this disrespect!!!!!

12. Marie
    March 18th, 2014 @ 2:56 pm

My rent not paid, I continue building debt because I have to borrow money from people just to keep bills paid. Doing odds and end jobs to help me buy food…I’m at the point considering to do adult entertainment from my computer at home. I don’t want to do anything like that, but I don’t know what to do. Right now I would be happy with only 2 months of EUC. It will help me with my debt and keep me focused on getting a decent position. So, Congress needs a recess? I would like to see 10 Democrats and Republicans go without income for 3 months, they are not allowed to use any of their current resources. Lets see how long they last. All of this is really making me to consider running for local office in my area.

13. Dan
    March 18th, 2014 @ 2:59 pm

Ditto on all the previous messages today. Hope all Gov reps enjoy their paid time off. Sorry it is called a recess(just like elementary school).

14. van carter
    March 18th, 2014 @ 3:04 pm

Besides me there are so many people that need this extention. Please have a kind heart and a strong mind to make the right choice to extend euc . Thank u and God God.Bless .

15. Paula
    March 18th, 2014 @ 3:06 pm

I am a teacher and my classroom got cut last year and I have had no luck in finding a job. My children and I have had to move back in with my parents. I apply for several jobs a day. I have even applied at gas stations and grocery stories. I live in a college town (UGA) and the jobs go to college kids before a women who is 40. This has put me in a very severe depression. The extra $300 a week for unemployment made a huge difference. I pray God will open doors just not for me but others that are unemployed!

16. Jim
    March 18th, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

This unemployment benefits situation has gone on far to long, it’s time for these people in Congress to stop taking all these vacation and pass the bill already.

17. Bethany
    March 18th, 2014 @ 5:39 pm

I agree facing utility shut offs, eviction, empty cupboards, and five year old twins that should never have to go through this. I am a unemployed nurse who would much rather be working making triple what I saw in unemloyment but I’m unable to find a job being I have no vehicle now. Wish they could settle their differences and look at the big picture.

18. matt
    March 18th, 2014 @ 7:22 pm
  19. BOB
    March 18th, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

I JUST WANT TO SAY I AM NOT COLLECTING EUC ,BUT THEIR ARE A LOT OF VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES THAT SUFFERING,THEY HAVE DONE THEIR PART AS AMERICAN CITIZENS, PROTECTED US, WHILE PUTTING THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE..THEY GET OUT OF THE MILITARY,CAN’T FIND A DECENT JOB,,,,,,,,,,,THRU NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN,NOW THEY HAVE TO GO ON UNEMPLOYMENT.UNEMPLOYMENT RUNS OUT NOW HAVE TO GO ON EUC WHILE THERE STILL LOOKING FOR WORK..NOW EUC CUTS HIS BENEFITS OFF,,TELLS KIDS SORRY GUY’S DADDY OR MOM CAN’T TAKE YOU TO MCDONALDS FOR A HAPPY MEAL..1 LAST THING THESE POLITICIAN’S SHOULDN’T CALL OUR VETERANS THEIR HERO’S AND THEN TURN AROUND AND PULL THEIR LIFE LINE AWAY FROM THEM,,HELP OUR VETS OUT…

20. CALL TO ACTION
    March 18th, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

Here’s How To Get In Touch With The Senators Who Voted Not To Extend Unemployment Benefits

21. Susan Pickering
    March 18th, 2014 @ 9:54 pm

After reading the above comments, I’m in tears.. My heart is so sad with the United States. I have been unemployed for 8 months. When I filed my initial claim in September of 2012 I was denied. Denial was based on my previous employer, not the one who LAID me off. Shame on me for trying to get a better JOB as a permanent employee with health benefits, 401K etc.. and leaving a job with temp company who was under paying me by $5.00 an hour and NO BENIFITS NO PAID HOLIDAYS NOTHING.(She couldn’t even make my garnishment payments in a timely manor and caused my drivers license to be suspended 6 times in one year.) Then after 2 months with not one $1.00 I had to move back to CA with my parents who have just lost EVERYTHING.. They had been homeowners for over 60 years that’s all gone. They were self employed and NO retirement plan except the property they owned. November 2012, I finally received some Federal unemployment payments. BUT OF COURSE the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TOOK 17% of my weekly benefit. I fought the above mentioned employer long and hard and won my appeal to have my benefits restored. When I went back the next week to file on the CUBLINE I was informed that my benefits were exhausted. I apply for 3-10 jobs every single day even Saturdays and Sundays. I have had a total of 5 interviews since my arrival in CA.. No job offers. In fact I can’t even get a response from the interviewer after placing my follow up call or email. I have been in the real estate and escrow industry for 20 years. It is what I know and I know it very well. So please forgive me when 7-11 and Wal-Mart consider me over qualified and turn my applications. I can’t even get a fast food job. SO I SAY THESE FINAL WORDS TO THE SENATE AND TO THE PRESIDENT OF A FALLEN UNITED STATES PLEASE RESTORE THESE BENEFITS PLEASE. WE ARE A NATION THAT IS CREATING ITS OWN DEMISE. THAT’S SO SAD. I KNOW MANY OF YOU SENATORS ARE NOT AT FAULT FOR CURRENT EVENTS AND I PRAY FOR ALL YOU WEEKLY. I CAN’T CONTINUE TO BE A NO HEALTH COVERAGE, NO INCOME AT ALL 45 YEAR OLD WOMAN SUCKING UP THE LITTLE TINY BIT OF RESOURCES MY PARENTS ARE LEFT WITH. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ALL OF US AMERICANS NOT RUSSIAN, AMERICAN PEOPLE. WE ARE YOUR PEOPLE WHO COUNT AMERICA. WE THE PEOPLE ARE UNDER ATTACK PLEASE COME BAIL US OUT. SO MANY CASUALTIES SO MANY DEATHS HERE WITH US THE PEOPLE. HAVE YOU LEFT US ARE WE NO LONGER YOUR PEOPLE THAT YOU WOULD SEND AID TO A COUNTRY’S PEOPLE THAT SAY NASTY THINGS ABOUT YOU THE PEOPLE WHO RUN AMERICA? I LEAVE YOU WITH THESE FINAL WORDS…When I walked into my parents home my first night in CA, and looked into there eyes and hearts, mind you parents who are honest good hearted American’s who pay their taxes, and stay current with Government issues good Republicans become these frail and unhealthy people with broken spirits who have to still fight for there VA benefits PROMISED TO THEM FOR OVER 20 YEARS OF MILITARY SERVICE. IT WAS AT THAT VERY MOMENT IN MY LIFE I accepted the truth and knew that being UNEMPLOYED WOULDE BE A DIRECT ROAD TO COMPLETE POVERTY. We have destroyed our economy. I would rather be hit with a NUCK bomb and say that is how the United States became a third world country OR DESTROYED, then to admit the truth. Greed killed us the people Our very own Government placed all Americans in one place AT the same time and dropped a bomb on us. Pass that BILL Please pass that bill. SP

22. Monique S. Frazer
    March 19th, 2014 @ 4:36 am

We need to start marching on Washington like they did in the 60’s. 2.3 million unemployed people demanding that Congress take action immediately would be a whole lot of incentive for them to pass some sort of bill on EUC! This is ridiculous that Congress has had three recesses since the new year. It is totally unfathomable to me that Congress could pass a bill lending Aid to the Ukraine, when you have your own citizens suffering. Unbelievable, I tell ya

23. Octavia
    July 16th, 2014 @ 4:06 am

Finally i quit my regular job, now i earn a lot of money online you should
    try too, just type in google – bluehand roulette system