Posted on | March 8, 2014 | 72 Comments

Today’s Unemployment Benefit News, Extension Update and Market News Review today March 8, 2014:
Millions of Americans that are unemployed and still waiting for an unemployment benefit extension looked to the monthly jobs report to gain additional insight into the employment crisis. Some policy leaders look for an emerging and recovering U.S. economy to absorb the unemployed and ultimately minimize the number of Americans in need of EUC. The February jobs report posted last session and the data sent mixed messages. Job additions moved higher, but so did the nation’s average unemployment rate.
According to the report, hiring picked up again last month. Job additions have ticked higher over the last three monthly job reports, but it should be noted that December job additions only totaled 84,000 which was well below expected levels, and well below any monthly report in all of 2013. The Department of Labor relayed that job additions in February totaled approximately 175,000 which was better than what most economists were expecting by about 25,000. Since economists had been expecting weaker numbers due to the recently harsh winter weather, the data was pleasantly received. The notion now exists that the February jobs numbers were positive despite the recently harsh winter weather. The implication is that the economic recovery process is full steam ahead. This could hurt the potential that policy leaders will vote to extend long term unemployment.
Right now, the number of long term unemployed remains high in the U.S. Approximately 3.8 million Americans have been unemployed for six months or more. Many of these individuals have been unemployed without EUC since December 28, 2013. The Senate will consider another extension during the latter half of next week.

Comments

72 Responses to “Unemployment Benefit Extension EUC update; Compensation not yet Extended but Vote Pending; Does Jobs Report Hurt Chances for an Extension?”

1. willaim suffield
    March 8th, 2014 @ 10:19 am

THE NUMBERS WILL CATCH UP BUT UNEMPLOYED AMERICANS WILL LOSE MORE IN THE PROCESS OF WAITING FOR THE ECONOMY TO BOUNCE BACK FULL SWING. THREE MONTHS WITH OUT MONEY CAN SET A WHOLE LOT OF FINACIAL PROBLEMS IN MOTION.

2. susan white
    March 8th, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

yup like most Americans, with NO money and No job l,m loosing my house to the bank / they already took my car / how does bankruptcy help America and the economy by making homeless people out of once hard working TAX payers / NO money for US Americans but a billions dollars in aid to Crimea / listen up senators – congressmen and the president / your jobs are the USA and not the world / help the WE the People out that voted you in

3. Tom
    March 8th, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

Let’s pray that the Senate do the right thing and extend the EUC for 3 to 6 months. It would really help pay some of the bills on my table, and help in putting some food in the house for my 4 kids. That said, I would rather have a good paying job as a cure all.

4. FedUpAlready
    March 8th, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

Has anyone seen this article? This poor guy committed SUICIDE because he lost everything he worked over 30 years for? http://www.examiner.com/article/no-unemployment-extension-equals-suicide
    Republicans are the ONLY ones blocking the unemployment extension because they want “to make a point” well their antics are causing people to lose everything they worked over 30 years for and these elitist could care less. Its sickening. I wonder how Republicans can sleep at night knowing they caused this man’s SUICIDE? SHAMEFUL!

5. Nj corruption
    March 8th, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

Chris Christie allowed senator Sweeney and his cronies to set me up and lose my job over political retribution. Looks like God bought Christie down publicly. I’m still unemployed. Stepien told the staff to stop talking to me. You see where he is now. It doesn’t pay to do dirty.
    Sweeneys brother was subpoenaed and Norcross us being sued by his partner. All heck broke loose on these evil doers because they took my job. The Mayor of the township will get his too. These are evil leaders in NJ who punish people they can’t control by setting them up, violating their civil rights and firing them. Christie should have given me my job back, he will never become president. Sweeney paid social media to discredit me and continues harassing and cyber stalking. He will never be governor and will be voted out. Norcross will lose every penny he invested in inquire and the minorities will rise up against him ands have him thrown out of Camden NJ
    Give me my job back or you boys will suffer more

6. DAN
    March 8th, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

They don’t have to worry about putting food in the house for our children or wandering if you can’t pay your mortgage. when was the last time you had a steak dinner or ground meat in your house. STOP HAVING BIG PARTIES in your big house and get your mind off basketball and start helping us poor american people now.

7. DAN
    March 8th, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

8. Fred
    March 8th, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

I just sent John Boehner an email and it took everything to control my language. I really hope the rest of you will do the same. if one of these bills passes I do not want this blocked by him. Please send him a message make sure he knows how you feel but controll your language as I barely did . here is the link http://www.speaker.gov/Contact/

9. LORD HELP
    March 8th, 2014 @ 6:45 pm

MY GOD , MY GOD ,MY GOD ,
    OH MY GOD.

10. Anna
    March 8th, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

I will definitely be voting this year! Lets get these guys out of office, they don’t want to help us so why should we keep them there??? Three months with absolutely no money, two kids, and a stack of bills! Heartless people! If you’re going to cut unemployment extensions, at least put jobs out there first!!

11. Shannon Leah Sinclair
    March 8th, 2014 @ 7:32 pm

Someone should do a vital statics report and track how many unemployed committed suicide in 2014. Another forgetten aspect of counting but office of congress only counts people filing for unemployment as “unemployed” that over 2 million. The real number of unemployed has not been determined but if it was revealed over half America is jobless and homeless…who Congress help its own people or cover it up ? Yes congress will come up with numbers that dont add up and forget to count all the unemployed homeless americans who are disgraced to be American.

12. Chris Taylor
    March 8th, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

Please help us help our families!! We need our money…….please Do the right thing!

13. Johnny C
    March 8th, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

Maybe theres hope for this week……GOP Senators Announce Fully Paid-for, Five-Month Unemployment Insurance Proposal

March 07. 2014 9:47AM

(Washington, D.C.) –Republican Senators today introduced legislation that extends unemployment insurance benefits for five months and reforms the current program without adding to the national debt. Senators Dean Heller (R-NV), Susan Collins (R-ME), Rob Portman (R-OH), Dan Coats (R-IN), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), and Mark Kirk (R-IL) formulated the proposal.

“Over and over again, I have emphasized with my colleagues the importance of extending unemployment benefits for Nevadans and for people hurting across the country. This is a responsible proposal that makes important reforms to the current program that I believe will help garner necessary support to pass the Senate if it receives a vote. I will keep talking to my Republican and Democratic colleagues so that these benefits are extended for those who desperately need them,” said Senator Heller.

“Our proposal responsibly pays for an extension of unemployment insurance benefits and enacts credible reforms to improve the program,” said Senator Coats. “This is a sensible solution based on bipartisan ideas. If Democrats are serious about finding common ground on this issue, they will support it.”

“With millions of Americans still suffering from the weak economic recovery, it’s time for Washington to put partisanship aside and support this commonsense proposal,” Senator Portman said. “Our proposal is fully paid for and will allow us to begin reforming a broken program that’s failing to connect Americans with jobs. Since the beginning of the debate, I’ve stood ready to work in a bipartisan manner for a solution for the long-term unemployed. I’m hopeful my colleagues on both sides will get behind this proposal so we can start working on real, permanent solutions for the American people.”

“Illinois has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, and it has been a priority of mine to find a financially responsible and commonsense way to extend unemployment benefits for those in need of them,” Senator Kirk said. “This is an issue that is affecting thousands of citizens, and I strongly urge my colleagues across the aisle to support this responsible legislation.”

“This bill is a rational, reasonable proposal to help jobless Americans that combines ideas from across the aisle to help provide relief to over a million Americans impacted by the President’s failed economic policies, and strengthen our current unemployment programs with real reforms to get people back to work,” said Senator Murkowski. “This bill is fully paid for and strikes the right balance to provide support to those who most need it, both financially and structurally. If the Senate does not and will not allow this bill to come up for a vote – instead pushing a party-line measure paid for by budget gimmicks – it should be clear that they are more interested in cable TV talking points than helping Americans in need.”

“This is a fiscally responsible path forward to provide unemployment insurance benefits to those who lost their jobs through no fault of their own and are searching for work but are unable to find it,” said Senator Collins. “It also includes important reforms to better incorporate job training programs to help people find jobs in fields where employment exists.”

Details of the fully paid for, five-month unemployment compensation extension:

Extends federal unemployment insurance benefits for five months, allowing for retroactive benefits.

Includes the following offsets: Extending pension smoothing provisions from the 2012 highway bill (MAP-21); Extending Customs User Fees through 2024; Eliminating overlapping UI/SSDI payments.

Requires that Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) applicants be assessed by the appropriate state or federal agency to determine why he/she remains unemployed and to identify steps the individual should take to improve employment prospects, such as enrollment in a job training program.

Reforms the EUC program to strengthen requirements to ensure benefits go to those actively looking for work and those who truly want to return to the workforce. Prohibits individuals from receiving EUC if they fail to accept offers of suitable work or if they refuse to apply for suitable work referred to them by state employment agency.

Ensures that limited federal unemployment resources are not being used to provide benefits to millionaires and billionaires.

Eliminates overlapping UI and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) payments, with exceptions for disabled individuals engaged in Ticket-to-Work programs.

14. renee gonyea
    March 8th, 2014 @ 10:48 pm

I read that proposal too yet The Speaker of the House already shot it down (Friday afternoon), saying he is only open if it creates jobs and is paid for (Keystone Pipeline) Sorry to say but I have lost all hope. What will happen to all 2 million of us????

15. Matt
    March 8th, 2014 @ 11:45 pm

Everyone must write to the president and congress isnt it something that they find billion dollars to send to urkine but cant find the money to help thier own american citiZens and for it done in a week this is shameful on the president and congress

16. Matt
    March 8th, 2014 @ 11:46 pm

Extend unemployment benefits now

17. Eds Lady
    March 9th, 2014 @ 12:05 am

I don’t know about other states but in PA if we are receiving unemployment benefits we must document our work search activities and supply them to the UC Board if requested to do so. We have to keep this documentation for 2 years.

As for retraining, I have yet to be referred for anything. The offices for these programs here in PA are called CareerLink and they are about worthless.

As for the “suitable work” PA defines it as similar to your previous job and comparable wages.

So PA already has the requirements that this proposed bill is asking for. I’m sure other states do too.

Seems like just another gimmick by the Republicans so they can say the Democrats don’t care when it’s shot down and we’re still left wondering how we’re going to survive.

18. Ms. T
    March 9th, 2014 @ 1:45 am

Do a static on Suicide Rates since unemployment has stop for many American’s and the government continue to help countries outside of the U.S. suppose to be the land of the FREE only if you live in another country. Shame on you American government Shame on you you TREAT your OWN people like they are in a Third world country.

KARMA is HORRIBLE, and you will get yours GOD will see to that!!!!!

19. MP
    March 9th, 2014 @ 1:59 am

I live in AZ, until last week I was able to file for my long term unemployment even though I was not getting paid. I have now reveived notification that I can no longer follow cause Congress has not approved them. My story is like everyone else. I have to turn rent assistance program to pay my rent. I have applied for hardship for my electic and the ironic thing is with my husbands salary we make to much to get food stamps!!!! Does anyone have any suggestions??? I have a piece of cardboard and a sharpie to make a sign and stand on a street corner. I know all of you are in the same position. We have gone through all our savings…..

I have a notebook that and have over 200 jobs in it. I keep track because Az requires you to post weekly.

The best is now when I get a call from a posting I put in I am getting a call back stating that they are able to help me with school. They start off asking the school question and once I say I am not interested they line goes dead!

I am I nurse for 30 years and do not want to go back to school and even if I did I cannot afford it…..

Please people in Washington please help us NOW!!! All of you sit down and show us that you have a heart and REALLY work for the American People

20. Rockman
    March 9th, 2014 @ 2:13 am

I have a feeling this whole thing is going to get ugly. 4 million unemployed Americans held hostage -vs- a hand full of Government I don’t care about you. You know the violence and crime is coming. 4 million Americans will survive by any means possible. Good Americans will turn to crime to feed their family’s. So you all in Washington DC better wake up. The ball is in your court right now. Do the right thing and pass this extension today. If not it’s going to get ugly and Washington DC will be the blame.

Together we stand strong. Divided we fall. Which side does these folks in Washington DC want to be on.

21. Hopeless in FL
    March 9th, 2014 @ 2:38 am

I commented on a post on Facebook yesterday about my personal experiences since the extension ended. The response by this guy really showed me the true color of how people really do not care about our children or our own personal hardships. I believe Congress has this same attitude….

Thom Paige says and I Quote…” Boo freakin hooo! Your posts make me sick. You have a disease called dependency and lack of personal accountability. “Government, courts, employer, the state, my children” everyone else is responsible except you???!!! I am a stranger to you, yet I was dead right. How is that? Maybe I know what its like to feel like a victim, and maybe I know what its like to be self sufficient. You are looking for a solution on the “outside” for a problem that started “inside” – it’s called ATTITUDE. It starts with you, noone else. You brought those children into this world. What attitude are you teaching them to have? Dependence? Whining? Blame? Prejudice? You claim others look down on you. Wrong: other people know what its like to have bad luck and a bad attitude, they know it is contagious so they run away from you because of your disease called “BAD ATTITUDE.” The first thing to do about getting rid of a bad attitude is to QUIT TALKING about your MISERY, and START recognizing the blessings in your life, and START saying things like “I am grateful”, or “I can do this.” Until and unless you start doing this, you will only attract other victims, and other people with bad luck into your life, misery loves company. Until your attitude changes and your language shows a good attitude, the world will choose to ignore you as a diseased person who will not stop poisoning herself, and others around her. Good luck to you.”

I… am not amused at all. I took my last few checks and started applying everything I could to open my own business. I get no child support from Florida’s DOR child support enforcement for my 3 kids. They have failed to collect over $36k in support in 16 yrs and the fathers have had nothing done to them for it either. I lost my job in June of last yr as a security officer when I was refused time off to abide by federal order to vacate my home I could no longer afford to live in which was a rental I had to take, after my owned home was flooded in the June 9-11 2012 flood. BOA refused to release the insurance check for repairs so we could go home. Yes I was behind. There was NO federal relief for this flood to homeowner’s or renters, no local financial help except Red Cross which did relocate us to this rental home I could no longer afford. I had been pushed into Chapter 7 because of this flood.June of 2013 it was discharged. I was left homeless with 3 kids and now no job since my G4s Security job supra didn’t approve my leave request as he had promised. This qualified me for Unemployment which I received 4 months maybe, of $76 s week before the December 28, cut off. I invested what I could to open my own business. I didn’t have enough to get it off the ground though. My company is a mobile document preparation business. Get this…My DL is now suspended because I can not afford car insurance. I now have NO way to get around much less make money or even go to interviews for working for someone else.

Nice job Congress! From the bottom of my homeless children’s and my heart…Thank you for making this life even harder. People, do not judge, I promise, you have no immunity to becoming poor and homeless. Oh… and Thanks to our Beautifully colorful President, I lost my home of 7 years because YOU didn’t approve Scott’s request for FEMA aid to the flood victims. It just spiraled from there. Lovely Government we have controlling our lives.

22. Steven
    March 9th, 2014 @ 4:51 am

Absolutely stupid that they can’t fix this I live in the biggest scum hole town that even minimum wage is a fairy tail dream I got a mesley 117 dollars a week but it at least paid the electric bill and helped out while I look in a waste land of no jobs and no hope I got hurt working for a local grocery store and just because of that they laid me off it took 7 months just to find that one and now been on the hunt again ever since very ruthless tactic to keep putting off a vote to extend euc starting to lose all hope and soon my apartment welfare is going to be what replaces these 2000000 Americans ui they can’t find a good enough way to pay for it?? We already are the rich republicans say we are too lazy to get back to work but if that were true we would have just been on cash assistance the entire time if we just wanted a hand out the fact is there is no jobs and until there is euc shouldn’t be allowed to expire simple as that it’s the country’s fault that there is no jobs give businesses a tax break and maybe they will stay in America stop raising minimum wage and maybe businesses will hire more and give them some incentive to hire us long term unemployed then maybe euc won’t have to be a problem the fact is you need to do something or our country is going to be filled with homeless family’s the government is going to be paying for anyway through welfare get it together congress and pass a bill already we been waiting way to long as you play political games with our lives I use to be proud to be an American now not so proud at All do something already!!!

23. KC
    March 9th, 2014 @ 5:12 am

Please extend the unemployment benefits this week!! I am a single mother with two children and we are going to lose our home. This is the first time that I have ever been unemployed. I was laid off back in July 2013 and I have been submitting applications everyday. Please do something fast, this is horrible!

24. Jean
    March 9th, 2014 @ 5:21 am

What happened to the pay that I paid out to unemployment every payday since I was 14.

25. sammeia
    March 9th, 2014 @ 5:32 am

it is a shame that congress can be so heartless, they must be some clones lol because how can a real people be this low down to their own people. U.S.A. I hope god put congress in the 2million people shoes to see its real out here struggling and your not getting showed any empathy.

26. Once Proud American
    March 9th, 2014 @ 2:07 pm

Disbelief, disheartened and disgusted are just the first 3 words I can think of to describe how I feel about “OUR” so-called Representatives and President are behaving. Why can the POTUS use that pen to make executive decisions if Congress doesn’t do what he wants, yet he does nothing but yammer on about the Republicans getting in the way. How about stopping the blame and getting those selfish, out of touch elected idiots to pull their heads out of foreign affairs and keep the cash in the country!?!?!

Don’t your American Citizens deserve it? You bailed out the banks, you allow illegal aliens to roam free despite being criminals carrying out a continuous crime by simply being here without lawful documentation while happily receiving handouts (“public assistance”) without learning English and their kids get a free education on taxpayers’ dime, you endlessly open the flood gates to stream billions in “aid” to foreign country after country, and now you have the audacity to send a BILLION DOLLARS to Ukraine while snubbing your own citizens, constituents, and fellow Americans. You treat us with the indifference shown to something floating in the gutter.

My father, a WWII Marine, and my Grandfather, who died of injuries sustained in WWI after he returned home, did not fight for this kind of America. How very hopeless this government has become, forgetting for whom they work and ignoring the strength and pride once shown by this backsliding, struggling country. Washington! WHAT are you doing to America!?

WHEN are we going to ban together and let these clueless elected clowns know they are NOT leaders, they are NOT representing us, and they are through serving themselves & their financial backers by voting out all incumbents!? Writing them doesn’t do anything. You just get a form letter response.

I’ve heard it suggested that all working Americans should coordinate hiking their deductions to 10 or 15 all at once, at the same time no one files taxes, effectively starving the tax flow to send a message. I’m fairly certain nobody can orchestrate such an endeavor, but there must be something brilliant and legal we can do to get their attention.

They do not care about the common man, woman or child. They have no problem with just the rich and the poor, with the middle class humiliated, unemployed, unable to obtain re-employment, losing life savings, cars, homes, dignity and relationships perhaps never to recover. It is not fair and not what I’ve worked for the past 30 years.

Yes, the Lord knows what all 3.8 million of us are going through. He knows we are not bottom feeders looking for a hand out & a reason not to work. He sees who is in a position of authority & able to help, but instead continues turning their backs on their brothers & sisters.

Democrats AND Republicans are an abomination. Politicians in general make me sick. Reid, Boehner & their parade of posturing clowns need to get it together and pass the extension, or “all I need is a pen” POTUS needs to use that pen for good instead of evil and place an executive order for UI extension to save us. PLEASE don’t just stand there watching after you’ve treated us like feces, flushed and swirling because we don’t matter.

27. Sheree Williams
    March 9th, 2014 @ 2:32 pm

Is funding this benefit truly the issue? Our government found 1 billion to send to the Ukraine. How did that money affect our deficit? What about Lois Lerner receiving a six-figure pension and refusing to answer questions about the IRS scandal? Where does all this money come from? Curious….and angry.

28. Kenneth J. Selwocki
    March 9th, 2014 @ 4:07 pm

… the government jobs report of 175k hiring is blown well out of proportion – ADP had estimanted 135k job growth and ADP has always been higher than the governments. When the government announced 175k job growth I knew right then and there the numbers were manipulated. When ADP announced their figures my estimate based on previous months should have shown a government job growth figure of 75k. I expect a retraction to the governments figures.

29. Deka81
    March 9th, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

I just wanted to leave a comment about when I heard some republican senators saying people who r on unemployment are lazy. That’s a joke. I was just a trash man for past 2 years in Boston and got laid off. I would love to c those senators come do my job and then c who’s lazy. They wouldn’t last 20 minutes. The other thing that is horrible is we give all kinda of countries money but we can’t give hard working Americans money after they get laid off. Let’s just keep donating to Isriel.

30. lillie
    March 9th, 2014 @ 6:46 pm

To God be the glory.it is said do unto other as you will have them do unto you. do not forget god see and hear every thing we do and say he know our hart .he said be concern about your brethren.

31. lillie
    March 9th, 2014 @ 7:05 pm

To God be the glory.it is said do unto other as you would have them do unto you. do not forget God see and hear every thing we say and do and he know what is in our hart. He said be concern about your brother an sister in Christ.

32. Kevin
    March 9th, 2014 @ 7:18 pm

GOP congress, if you want someones respect then you treat them the way you would like to be treated, you set a good example they can admire and would want to emulate. This country has always set that bar for the rest of the world. That’s part of how it was built. The GOP congress is treating its own people as if they are of no more value than pond scum, a political game with millions of our countrymen s lives while the whole world is watching. When other countries view us treating Americans this way, they see us as either crazy and uncaring or just plain incapable of managing our own affairs. That’s what this smacks of, yet we show up at their doorstep with tons of money while are own people are falling off a cliff. When all this started my first thought was how embarrassing this is for The United States. When other countries see our leaders behaving this way, I think they accept our money not out of grateful respect, but more like WC Fields old phrase,” Never Give A Sucker An Even Break”. We are patsy’s in their eyes because what country would give money to another country while two to three million unemployed Americans are going without the very basic needs for survival. If Russia wants to keep the Ukrainians under their control then let them do it. I have never heard of The Russians starving millions of there own people. Right now they are probably better off over there than here. If they do want to come live in the Great America we need to put out some kind of warning sign letting them know if you are older, you won’t have a job or anyway to feed or keep your family warm because your only worth pond scum. I bet every country in the world is thinking, Thank God, we don’t have a Republican Party congressman where we live. VOTE THESE GUYS OUT.

Sincerely, Scared

33. Justice
    March 9th, 2014 @ 7:21 pm

Here is a website to:
    Recall of Legislators and the Removal of Members of Congress from Office

Goodluck

34. Justice
    March 9th, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

This is quite interesting. GOOD INFO HERE!!
    Even if you do not
    forward it, read it all the
    way to the end…

Wal-Mart vs. The Morons
    (NOT A JOKE)

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target +Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world’s largest private employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.

8. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth’s population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy.

This should be read and understood by all Americans… Democrats, Republicans, EVERYONE!!

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature

It is now official that the majority of you are corrupt and ineffective:

a.. The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775. You have had 237 years to get it right and it is broke.

b.. Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 77 years to get it
    right and it is broke.

c.. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 74 years to get it right
    and it is broke.

d.. War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 48 years to get it right;
    $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to “the
    poor” and they only want more.

e.. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 47 years to get it right and they are broke.

f.. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 42 years to get it right
    and it is broke.

g.. The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 35 years to get it right and it is an abysmal failure.

You have FAILED in every “government service” you have shoved down our
    throats while overspending our tax dollars.
    AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??
    Folks, keep this circulating. It is very well stated. Maybe it will end up in the e-mails of some of our “duly elected’ (they never read anything) and their staff will clue them in on how Americans feel.
    AND
    We have lost our minds to “Political Correctness”
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We’re “broke” & can’t help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, Homeless etc.,???????????

In the last months we have provided aid to Haiti , Chile , Japan and Turkey ..And Pakistan ……..previous home of Bin Laden. Literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!

Our retired seniors living on a ‘fixed income’ receive no extra aid nor do they get any special breaks–nadda beyond shopping discounts…

AND Congress wants to freeze Social Security payments …
    You do know that Congress voted themselves a pay raise for 2013??? Google this–it’s true!!!
    99% of people won’t forward this.

I’m one of the 1% — I Just

35. Paul Noel
    March 9th, 2014 @ 7:56 pm

Well its over for me .House is gone /along with my car/all savings this will be the last time i post for the lights will be turned off any time .always pulled my load and never asked for anything .at 61 years of age i see no coming back from this mess .and they want me to buy Obama care with what .Never dreamed i would be in the streets like so many that i have drove by in the last few years .But one thing i will always have and that is my Faith in my God as hard as they try day after day the gov. cant strip that from us .

36. Kevin
    March 9th, 2014 @ 8:39 pm

We need some kind of system like Yelp so each congressman sees their performance rated public opinions letting everyone in the country view them. They think hurting millions of Americans doesn’t have any consequences and the GOP obviously feels destroying Americans and their families lives are worth making their point for denying Americans medical care. Are they themselves going to go out in public and see if they can help two or three million people get something to eat or have shelter? Whats next, picking up dead bodies in the streets and loading them into dump trucks like firewood to discard. Oh wait, that’s right GOP would probably filibuster those expenses. Do everything you can to vote the Republican party OUT! OUT! OUT!.

37. Paul Noel
    March 9th, 2014 @ 8:48 pm

Its all of them not just the Republicans .When you spend 10 million on a 150,000 dollar paying job something stinks .its about power and setting your self and all your Buddy’s up after wards.Lights still on for now .

38. Kevin
    March 9th, 2014 @ 8:59 pm

Rand Paul says the American unemployed are lazy, well I am sure out of 2 plus million unemployed Americans without any income or provisions to look for a job someone must be lazy. Even if that were the case I would rather know a lazy person than a totally incompetent one. Paul Rand has no clue what these people are going through. His party represents our countries worst nightmare. He has never had to do without and does not care as long as he is getting his personal gain like most of his party constituents. The worst congress in this countries history. Dead last out of 113 now there is something to be proud of and hang your hat on. Maybe he is really energetic about accomplishing nothing but wasting our countries money on 46 attempts to change a ACA law already past. How smart is that? Or being apart of stopping our government for a few months and wasting 24 billion dollars and getting nothing in return. How smart is that? Are putting thousands and thousands of unemployed Americans out in the cold and think the problem is just going to go away. And just to show how off base he really is, for some reason he thinks he is presidential material. I think he should just get lazy, he would probably get something worth while done. Pass the word, vote GOP out so our country and get back to our core values. Rand Paul, you shouldn’t start a rock fight if you live in a glass house. Many of these people have nothing left to loose you have them in a corner with their backs against the wall. How smart is that?

Kevin

39. Mark
    March 10th, 2014 @ 12:11 am

WANTED US SENATOR OR CONGRESSMEN TO WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES

40. Donna
    March 10th, 2014 @ 2:56 am

i would rather be working but it’s darn tough out there-especially for us over 50…i am not a mooch but need a bit of help right now…i am still going without insurance-cannot even afford the new health care crapola…

41. Dorene
    March 10th, 2014 @ 3:28 am

please please pass the extension….I am dying here

42. Carly
    March 10th, 2014 @ 1:37 pm

I pray that they extend EUC I apply to approximately 15 JOBS per day and I have not had an interview yet. I was laid off in August 2013 because my company lost its grant from the federal government and I have a BS degree in social work. I am desperately looking for work but it will be hard if my phone and internet is cut off which it will if I can’t find work. I have been applying for waitress jobs anything to keep my head above water. They must extend EUC this is crazy I have been working since I was 15 years old this is unfair. I am standing strong right now but I am on the verge of a break down.

43. Myesha M
    March 10th, 2014 @ 2:29 pm

PLEASE LORD HELP US WE NEED OUR MONEY !

44. Erik Stewart
    March 10th, 2014 @ 2:51 pm

As an African American citizen who voted for Obama, I am extremely disappointed in his lack of vocal support and political positioning regarding EUC. Speeches about raising the minimum wage, and being an active proponent of EUC is the apples to oranges analogy. EUC is immediate, the minimum wage increase is long term, at best. Win the battle, then the war.

Obama is a politician who continuously speaks of his door to door efforts in Chicago’s wards to familiarize and galvanize votes for socio-economic change. Here, and now, is where he should be pounding the issue of EUC, as EUC is a door to door factor in the lives of 2+ million (and growing) Americans, and their families — as well as the community businesses.

The politicians rely on the American belief in the democratic voting process, regardless of its past, present and future failings as it serves to (1) Provide time between elections to assuage and camouflage the past, present and future failings of political processes, and (2) The stupefying belief in the American vote prevents demonstrations in the streets, eg, Europe, Philipines, Greece, etc., that would damage the US political-economic compass.

The Occupy Wall Street movement was the closet action toward addressing the economic inequalities in America, and the police action (political, legal, health agencies) that strangled its growth was media savy.

So, for the 2+ million unemployed it comes down to 1 month difference in the length of EUC benefits (Dems 6, Rep 5) and John Boehner’s jobs creation agenda that is linked to the Keystone Pipeline XL approval which is months away, and optimistically estimates only 2+ thousand permanent jobs as per the US State Department.

The Keystone XL project is poised to provide Valero Energy Corp, a 15% investment owner (Texas), which reported over $125 billion dollars in 2011 revenues (see Wikipedia) with substantial state, regional, national and global eco-political benefits indefinitely.

The higher the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ unemployment rate, the stronger John Boehner and the Republicans bargaining chip to trade EUC passage for Keystone XL approval becomes…months and months from now.

45. DJ
    March 10th, 2014 @ 3:26 pm

Why do they have to wait till end of the week
    too vote on this?? Then there back out for
    a week, Vote Now it’s been 2 1/2 months

Do your job for the U S.

46. Hilda Santiago
    March 10th, 2014 @ 5:22 pm

We that worked and paid taxes cannot get extra help from our government. But they are going to send money help to Ukraine how you explain that. ONLY IN USA

47. MP
    March 10th, 2014 @ 6:08 pm

I am in the same boat as all of you are. My question is Do the right people all read these messages????? I doubt it. Why bother….They are all heartless bastards….We all need funds and need them fast!!!!

48. Georgia Peach
    March 10th, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

Our senators and congressmen need honestly assess the difference that EUC will make to the millions of these UNITED STATES OF AMERICA citizens.
    Has anyone ever taken the time to consider this, cause I HAVE:
    1. You’d have had to work and pay into the DOL system, to get out of the DOL system
    (i.e. unemployment taxes)(I HAVE)
    2. You’ve worked for 30+ years in these United States (I HAVE)
    3. You’ve earned (honestly and hardworking) from $15,000 to $72,000 annually (I HAVE)
    4. You’ve possibly paid at the very least $180,000 into the DOL system (I HAVE)
    Now the SYSTEM has a problem with paying you $300 for 26 weeks, while you try to find a proper paying job to at least keep your head above the water from “drowning”.
    IT JUST DOES NOT ADD UP, AMERICA!
    WAKE UP, WASHINGTON D.C.

49. alcides acevedo
    March 10th, 2014 @ 8:15 pm

Next week,next week next week!!!! Already lost my car to a repo,can’t pay my rent my landlord is giving me 2 more weeks n I still haven’t heard back from any job! COME ON PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!

50. tj
    March 10th, 2014 @ 8:16 pm

I’m watching US Senate live right now and they would rather talk about global warming and the war overseas in a missing jet absolutely pitiful I dare congressman to walk one day in my shoes whose wife is a teacher who teaches our kids everyday and I am a recon can’t get a check to help me find a job or to help me help her pay a bill I’m totally dependent on my wife as of today absolutely unbelievable

51. John Dyson
    March 10th, 2014 @ 9:22 pm

The GOP hopefully realizes that they are losing approx. 4Million votes for an entire generation!!! (simple, but good calculation: 2Million lost benefits * approx. 5 people affected * 30% were GOP.) The other side effects due to word of mouth/etc, 4million lost votes GENERATIONALLY is the cost. That is bigger than the entire top 1% bigwigs. It is sickening to see money go overseas where it will not cycle through our economy, but PRACTICALLY 100% of the unemployment benefits will help our economy. SO MUCH FOR GOP TRYING TO CREATE HATE AGAINST OBAMA, THE GOP IS DESTROYING ITSELF FOR A FULL GENERATION!!!

52. gigi
    March 10th, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

Sick IM scared worried frustrated an alone who has our backs well I now know it’s not the government there is no more we the people… How do you do what your doing to us an sleep at night…. Are you soulless you must be… I actually feel as if we are your twentieth century leppers you want us to all just go away outa sight outa mind right?…. Well if you all keep us from what we should have without having to fight blog an lose all things… Dnt worry you’ll win by suicides…. We can’t live… God help all of you…

53. Carolyn Ciarlante
    March 10th, 2014 @ 10:00 pm

First I want to say we all paid our taxes over the years and lots of unemployed people benefited and I’m glad for them, but the world is a far worse place sad to say. Many people in our country get some kind of benefits and never worked a day or paid any taxes. This is a disgrace that we have families not being able to feed there children, pay there bills in this country. What is the future for our children and our grandchildren. Give us jobs and you can keep your money who ever the hell it belongs too. This is only a fix but these people need it. While you guys are all having a power struggle we need our unemployment and we need jobs, hello is anybody listening to all these people.

54. confussed
    March 10th, 2014 @ 10:23 pm

I was born in this country, i pay my taxes and worked hard for my family and everything i have and the republicans call me lazy because i lost my job and i am having problems like most finding another, so they cut me off of the money i worked my whole life for, they say they cant afford me. But we have people on welfare who never worked, live off the system and refuse to be part of the working class and theres money for them, they have plenty of funds for the welfare and we r lazy, the ones who worked so that there would be a welfare program, and yet they cut us off and alow us to loose what we worked for. I know this isnt bout welfare or who deserves it, i am just saying there is something wrong and we need to do something about it, we need to clean house and bring in those who will help us,election day will be here before they know it, i think its time we give the other men and women a chance too fill those seats cause these ones have proven nothing……

55. Luchia
    March 10th, 2014 @ 10:51 pm

WE ALL NEED TO MAKE SURE THIS NEVER HAPPENS
    AGAIN, BY OUR VOTES. EVERYONE NEEDS TO NOT FORGET WHAT THEY DID TO US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#TAKE THIS SERIOUS AND LEARN CONGRESS BEFORE YOU VOTE.

56. Jamie
    March 10th, 2014 @ 11:42 pm

None of these people give a crap about the unemployed. Democrats act like they care because they use it as their canvass to gain vote on issues with minorities, veterans, women, & the unemployed. The republicans want to cut..cut..and cut…spending…unless they are proposing foreign policy benifits. Then you have endless finger pointing like 3 year olds on a play ground. It’s on and on… how pathetic! If the unemployed waited for them to act & actually pass these benefits people would die of starvation. I’m so tired & sickened by our “leaders” because no party seems to be better than the other in my eyes. They’re both full of crap. What a joke these people are. I pray for the state of our country every day because it’s going to hell. The republicans just want to make things as difficult as possible because we have a black president & decide not to show up for work…(hmmm) which is adding to the mess if not making it worse. Regardless if it’s admitted to or not!. What are we teaching our children because regardless of past democratic presidents long term unemployment benefits have always been extended.
    Keep the faith & trust that God will come through because I just read every single comment with tears in my eyes and have said a prayer for every single one of you.

57. Angry American
    March 10th, 2014 @ 11:43 pm

I truly hope all Americans are paying attention to the crisis happening in our own backyards. This isnt President Obama’s fault, the blame should squarely be placed on every republicans shoulders who voted against first, the budget which shut down congress and now emergency unemployment. If you aren’t affected, you either know someone who is, and can attest to the hardships it has caused middle class citizens to become even more destitute. PLEASE VOTE THESE REPUBLICANS OUT OF OFFICE AND SEND A CLEAR MESSAGE MESSAGE TO CONGRESS THAT THEY WORK FOR US! I HAVE WORKED OVER 30 YEARS AND HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO UNEMPLOYMENT AS DID EVERY WORKING CITIZEN, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO RELINQUISH OUR VERY OWN FUNDS WHEN HARDSHIP OF FINDING A NEW JOB ARISES., THAT IS WHY UNEMPLOYMENT WAS PUT IN PLACE FOR THAT VERY REASON!! LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD IN THE NEXT UPCOMING ELECTION!!

58. HELP
    March 10th, 2014 @ 11:53 pm

PLEASE HELP ME FEED MY CHILDREN…would be nice to sit with my KIDS to eat..single mom…

59. HELP
    March 10th, 2014 @ 11:56 pm

LET MY KIDS EAT::AND To have lunches when they go to school..THANK YOU::

60. rusty nails
    March 11th, 2014 @ 12:09 am

Im just plain hungry, no more cup of noodles!!

61. Barry
    March 11th, 2014 @ 1:57 am

62. Barry
    March 11th, 2014 @ 1:59 am

They need to live on $100 for the rest of the week until payday. How do you put gas in your car and buy groceries to last a week? They have no clue what families are going through and how it’s tearing them apart. They have savings, they are not middle class where families can not afford to help each other. My wife worked 18 years and paid more into the system than she wil ever receive. Has the school ever told them they need to get their son new shoes without holes or he cannot go on a field trip? That have no idea on what’s going to happen to the economy.

63. perry staley
    March 11th, 2014 @ 2:04 am

I feel everyone’s pain I to am hoping for an extention, unlike y’all I am able to do little jobs for family I have a huge family, but the money I can definitely use as the past few month’s have put some bills in the no pay stack I pray we all will prevail in the end, here’s something to think about though and seriously come election time, wait first think of all we have tried, and still nothing has changed nothing but a bunch of lying crooks reside in our White House, its time to turn the page and try something different lets give the keys to some new people I am positive they cant do worse than the criminals we already have running this country I am positive they will prove to be beneficial to our country yes I am talking about the tea party what do we have to loose at this point I don’t trust the Republicans or the Democrats any more want change I will guarantee this will change the way the R and D are playing games and we will have our country back

64. carstella
    March 11th, 2014 @ 2:11 am

help feed my family.

65. jon
    March 11th, 2014 @ 3:00 am

It’s a shame Senate wasted another day talking about climate change.The long term unemployed are once again forgotten. Why can’t they get this done? Well the way I see it as of now is political games so the mid term elections are swayed by this. If Harry Reid and the other Democrats wanted to help than they would bring this bill to the floor now. The Republicans have a bill that will extend it for 5 months. They say it’s paid for with pension smoothing. It’s laughable because the democratic bill last Month had the same pay for “pension smoothing” but they voted it down. But now with the 2 bills there and if Democrats really want to help than get these bills on the floor debate them and vote either way it’s a win and no one will care they just need help now. Also it needs to pass the House before coming back to Senate for final passage. Guess what Senate and the house are off next week. And there are 3 days of business left this week… So how is a climate change debate more important than the 2 million people that are in need of immediate help? Pass the damn bill then after the week vacation debate on climate change. These senators need to be flooded with calls every day all day it’s time to rally in Washington and take a stand against these time wasting idiots. 2 plus million unemployed people on the steps at the capital building might get some action or finally some media coverage.

66. susan
    March 11th, 2014 @ 2:29 pm

Please make the decision soon!!! I have someone that lives me suffering with out benefits and its killing me because im going thru the suffering too by him not getting these benefits is putting a strain on everyone thats in the family!!! come on there millions more families in this situation please do the right thing and get this bill passed!!!

67. shannon
    March 11th, 2014 @ 3:38 pm

As of tomorrow I will not have my house payment and I was just 10mo. shy of paying it off, I have worked since I was 15 and have been unable to find a job since I lost mine a year ago. This was the first time I ever filed for UE.I can’t sleep for all the worry since I lost my UEI and if I didn’t have 5 children depending on me I would end it now. I’m in tears as I type this, so tomorrow i’m applying for welfare and I am so ashamed, not lazy. Even my 18 year old daughter can’t find a job and it would be her first. Glad I didn’t vote for Obama, one less kick in the teeth, wish I could say the same for my dignity…..

68. lillie
    March 11th, 2014 @ 4:35 pm

Do not fret because of evil men those who do wrong for like the grass they will soon wither .Delight yourself in the lord he will give you the desires of your heart.do not fret when men succeed in their ways when they carry out their wicked schemes. for evil men will be cut off. the wicked will perish.

69. Rosa Delgado
    March 11th, 2014 @ 5:46 pm

Our families are suffering for the reason that we don’t have our Unemployment benefets. The president of the united stated and the Republicans they have there table serve.. I wonder went there eating if they realized how many AMERICANS don’t have nothing in there table to eat. MR. President I voted for you! But as of right now I really do recreated.. open your ayes you have families like us.

70. DJ
    March 12th, 2014 @ 1:08 am

Why Severe Weather Made Little Mark on US Hiring

Last month’s harsh winter weather cut across the U.S. economy, closing factories, canceling flights and keeping shoppers home.

Employers, though, kept hiring. They added 175,000 jobs in February, the government said Friday, far more than in December and January.

So why didn’t the weather put job growth in a deep freeze?

Mainly because of how the government counts company payrolls. The Labor Department calculates jobs by asking companies how many people they employed during the pay period that includes the 12th day of the month.

If a company’s pay period is, say, every two weeks or twice a month, a staffer who worked just one day during that period would be counted as employed.

Take Junkluggers, a New York City junk removal company. Josh Cohen, the founder and CEO, says a snowstorm forced him to shut down for six full days in February. It cost his company an estimated $15,000 to $20,000 in lost revenue. Roughly 45 hourly workers went without pay.

But Junkluggers pays its employees twice a month. So anyone who logged any hours during that time would have been counted as employed.

Cohen thinks the severe weather will actually lead to increased business this spring as some customers call him for jobs that were delayed by the weather. Business typically rebounds solidly in spring after a tough winter, Cohen says. He plans to double his staff to about 120 by May.

Economists, too, expect most hiring disruptions to be made up in coming months, resulting in further job growth.

That’s the message from Patrice Rice, CEO of a recruiting firm based in Dunkirk, Md., who says the weather was a big headache last month. Her firm, with 30 offices nationwide, places executives, managers and chefs for restaurant and hotel chains such as Ruby Tuesday’s, Chipotle, Applebee’s and Marriott.

Snowstorms caused interviews to be postponed and delayed the completion of new restaurants, she says. That, in turn, delayed hiring at those sites. Overall, Rice thinks the number of people her company placed in jobs fell about 22 percent in February from its monthly average.

“You had somebody set up for an interview, and then the weather comes in, the interviews were canceled,” she says. “People don’t want to drive for days, because they’re not used to the snow in Dallas and Atlanta.”

Many Southern states were hit by much more severe winter weather than usual. About 700,000 customers lost power in the Southeast.

Still, Rice says the restaurant business is doing well, and she expects her business to recover strongly as job openings delayed by severe weather are filled.

And many companies, like Cleveland-based OnShift, plan their hiring over weeks and months, so aren’t much affected by weather. Mark Woodka, CEO of OnShift, has added 14 employees to his Cleveland-based software company this year, bringing its total staff to 74.

Woodka expects to add 11 more by May. The company’s software helps nursing homes, assisted living facilities and home health care firms manage and schedule their employees. They are hiring salespeople, software engineers and managers.

“We’ve been growing quickly, and our products are in demand,” he says.

71. too much mess
    March 12th, 2014 @ 2:36 am

It is obvious that the more we complain, the voting weeks get longer and longer. The republicans don’t have any relatives that are going through. I’ve worked 44 years, I’m not lazy, and I haven’t been unemployed in 25 years. I have my own place and I walk in integrity. REALLY..Are we asking the republicans to cut a check from their personal account? There are plenty of us that are not use to taking handouts, and begging to get what we’ve worked hard for. Please stop judging, and do what’s right. You will not always be on top, and doing ok for yourself. Take it from us. We are not putting you down, we just don’t feel it’s fair to be treated like slaves beat down by you because you are throwing your weight around and abusing your authority. God bless us all, no matter what….he had the final say. And you will experience that dreadful day if you continue to mistreat God’s people.

72. Jacqueline
    March 12th, 2014 @ 6:41 pm

PRAY AND ASK ONLY GOD TO PASS THIS EXTENSION. HUMANKIND ARE AN UNCERTAIN. HE IS WAITING FOR US ALL ON THIS WEBSITE TO PRAISE HIM ONLY. STOP MAKING MEN IDOLS! Our heavenly father is very jealous. So whomever reads this begin to ask the Lord our God to put his vote in. HIS VOTE SUPERCEDES ALL.. AMEN