Posted on | February 12, 2014 | 99 Comments

Unemployment Benefit News review today February 12, 2014:
The two most recent monthly jobs reports were much weaker than expected and are viewed as signs of a slow-to-recovery U.S. economy. This data pairs with news from Fed chair Janet Yellen that federal stimulus tapering will continue in the short term. Concerns that the tapering will continue to diminish chances for the unemployed are growing. Close to 2 million Americans are unemployed right now in the U.S. The current national unemployment rate stands at 6.6 percent and this rate doesn’t include those Americans that have given up looking for work. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, over 90 million adult Americans do not currently work and are not currently looking for jobs. Some of these Americans have lost hope and have all but given up on finding an acceptable job. The recent Senate vote not to extend long term unemployment benefits was a critical strike on many Americans at a critical time. The severity of the situation and environment has pressured many Americans away from hope. The over 90 million Americans currently not looking for work represents approximately 37 percent of the U.S. population. 37 percent of the adult American population has lost the motivation to look for gainful employment. The Senate could have given hope with an unemployment benefit extension last week. Now, all the American people have is more worry.

Comments

99 Responses to “Unemployment Benefit Extension Failure Steals Hope from Americans in 2014; Long Term Hoplessness Extended”

1. Clay Cook
    February 12th, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

As members of the Senate you need to give less money to the farm bill that includes pigs and lambs and a little more help to the vast number of Americans that are currently looking and the key word is looking for work! There are many hard working Americans that just can’t find work and have contributed to the Unemployment Insurance Fund for a lot of years of employment, PLEASE RESPOND!

2. Todd
    February 12th, 2014 @ 3:18 pm

My Nebraska senators have let me down! Republican senators can go rot! I hope they get a taste of this themselves someday!

3. Nikole Banks
    February 12th, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

I was laid off last year and decided to go back to school so I could better myself and get a better job. I have ALWAYS worked, since I was 14. Now Im in school full time and looking for work that will be flexible with my school schedule. I have not had any income since Dec 28th. Unemployment is not a hand out it earned by people who work. Why is there enough money in the budget for welfare? we all know that a majority of those people have not worked a day in their life. Why cant the goverment take a pay cut? Most are overpaid for the work they do, they have vacations almost every month. You are taking away hard earned money from people who need it live on.

4. charles Hall
    February 12th, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

After working 35 yrs. An a Amercan for 58yrs.
    This is way u treat the American people.

5. mark
    February 12th, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

We are looking for work. Our work search is not documented by government because we’re no longer on unemployment and therefore not required to report our work search. The only way government can accurately count those looking for jobs is through unemployment claims.

6. Doc
    February 12th, 2014 @ 4:21 pm

Why do we have money for rich farm conglomerates, tax subsidies for oil companies, money for tobacco farmers, money for corporate welfare but not the American people.

Why not cut out money that these companies get but do not need.

PLEASE VOTE YOUR REPUBLICAN OFFICAL OUT OF OFFICE. THEY HATE US. The GOP is now against FACTA…read what it is.

7. Pamela
    February 12th, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

Keep reporting your job search calls.

8. brian davidson
    February 12th, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

what a joke the senate voted no then took a two week break (vacation) then came back and voted no again and took another long break. they get breaks every other week. where can I apply for that job

9. Emily
    February 12th, 2014 @ 4:49 pm

Just going to force everyone to go on food stamps, state help, husky program and anything else that is offered. Get rid of these Republicans that don’t want to help or have the ones who say no go without pay. I am lucky enough not to be one that is without a paycheck but I could not imagine so I would say let them go 3 months without a paycheck see if it changes the vote

10. Steven IMMENDORF
    February 12th, 2014 @ 5:10 pm

Get out and vote . That’s the only way to get them to pay for how they view the unfortunate of this country that can’t find work . Americans that can’t put food on their tables for no fault of there own . Shame on all of you ! There are children going hungry because you can’t come to an agreement and pass this bill. Now go on another vacation after 1 week of work !

11. Howard Boone
    February 12th, 2014 @ 5:30 pm

Can the Republicans that keep voting “no” to the extension of unemployment benefits really be that insensitive and cold hearted??? Karma is a bitch and it will come around to them somehow, some way, some day….. Hopefully sooner then later…. Let them feel our pain

12. Bob
    February 12th, 2014 @ 5:30 pm

The American people need to revolt to this Congress and Senate. Every single one of them should be voted against in the next election.
    Reid , the Democrats and the Republicans are all fat dumb an happy. They do not care about the people of this country. They only care about posturing and egos. Let them all be fired and look for a job. It is a shame and disgrace. It is not government for the people by the people.
    Let them be out of work.

13. marlene
    February 12th, 2014 @ 5:32 pm

I am 54 years old spent 7 1/2 years serving my country in the United States Air Force. I have been unemployed since March 2013. I have looked daily, put in applications everywhere, even if I was not sure I would qualify. I have not had income since December 2012. I have lost everything. I got evicted from my home, I live here and there. I wish the US government would believe in the American people and treat them that way.

14. marlene
    February 12th, 2014 @ 5:35 pm

Sorry the date of December 2012 was wrong should have beenDecember2013. Stress is taking it’s toll.

15. Teresa
    February 12th, 2014 @ 5:45 pm

The republicans may have the upper hand now, but let’s be 1.6 million voters to put these politicians out of office. We need to work as hard to get the democrats to control the house and senate as we did to elect President Obama. Our vote is our voice. Let’s speak loud and clear with our vote.

16. KENNETH FORIR
    February 12th, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

I have worked all my life , these benefits are important to the working men and women of this country, I help build the roads these politicians drive on , the weather determines on how long we are off not us, do the right thing, so we the workers can get by until we go back to work!!!!!!!!

17. jcm
    February 12th, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

I am also one of the 2 million, The way I see it is instead of being mad and waiving your fist in the air you have to look at it like this …

they vote on you, Turn the table and vote on them.

Look up your local state congressman and if there a republican VOTE THEM OUT.

NOV 2015 Dont forget this and VOTE out the republican senate.

18. steve smith
    February 12th, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

Senator PORTMAN is the person you should send a response to.
    He was a YES just before the most recent vote and flip flopped to NO when he voted stated he wasn’t comfortable with the pension smoothing. One the flip side, 5 crucial republicans did vote yes. Let them know you appreciate their vote and to speak to PORTMAN to get him to say YES, which will give us the required 60 votes. Sixty votes were needed to begin debate on the bill, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., switched his vote at the last minute for procedural reasons so he can bring up the bill again in the future. Democrats were joined by Republicans Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Dean Heller of Nevada.

19. Erica Smith
    February 12th, 2014 @ 6:03 pm

Does anyone know when the next vote will be?

20. steve smith
    February 12th, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

Senator Portman’s contact info
    WRITE HIM TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Jerry Lucky
    February 12th, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

I can’t belive that we are out here suffering because of one vote denied. I worked since I was 15 years old and now I’m 44 years old and I decided to go back to school after being laid off last year to better my self for me and my family. Now I’m so stress because bills rents car note, light bill and water bill is now past due.I been out everyday looking for employment.But no one is hiring at this time I don’t know what to do how can any one be so Dam cold hearted and insensitive to any one. I stood in line for 5 hours to vote and this how it turned out. INSANE!! AND I WILL NEVER.WHAT GOES AROUND COME AROUND.We the people is asking for help.President Obama Please Do something how much longer do we have to suffer…….

22. Dman
    February 12th, 2014 @ 6:37 pm

“Critical strike on Americans at a Critical time” didn’t know we were the enemy…worked all my life since 16 and was cut off Dec 28. Lucky for me I had savings but still haven’t found work in my area. We have a 17% unemployment rate in my city but we haven’t stop looking for work.I’m seeing this through for good or bad, Americans need work but jobs are scarce. Parts of the country like New Jersey and RI have 9.1% unemployment many who are white collar and educated people who fell under bad circumstances and wasn’t their fault for losing their Jobs as are the rules for UI benefits. This is a broader issue that needs to be addressed instead of ignored

23. Robert
    February 12th, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

I’m one of the Americans who is unemployed I’ve gone seven weeks without a check and now I’m homeless and so are my dogs thanks Republican

24. Veronica Miller
    February 12th, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

Pamela in New Jersey they will not let you report your job search information once unemployment expires. They say they will let you know when an extension is passed.

25. Lisa C. Dixon
    February 12th, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

My georgia senators have been such a disappointment. I was laid off in August 2013 from a job i worked at for 15 years. I’ve been looking for work every day. I’m not lazy. I’m out of work. I’m about to be homeless. I can’t pay my electronic bill, water or insurance. Most of congress don’t care if it is extended or not because they will never have to worry about thing lime this happing to them or their family. I never thought it would happen to me either. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. I’m sick with worry. I can’t sleep because I’m counting down the days I can stay in my house.

26. Steve
    February 12th, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

It does us no good to sit and write posts. What needs to be done is we mass together as a group. And for those of you that have work, I am certain you know a few folks out of work as well, even the working people need to stand up with the non-workers,,,until we can make our voices heard IN A MASS, nothing will change but the amount of time off they keep taking. So lets band together NOW. Let me know if any are interested and we can get this going

February 12th, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

The republicans are treating this along philosophical lines. It has nothing to do with real world parameters, as it is purely philosophical to the point of being religious.

They claim “The unemployment extension does not help the unemployed” and “It is Immoral”- Now, take a long hard look at what they are saying,- My question is this—-

Since when does money not help anyone?

Since when is money Immoral?

All of this coming from a REPUBLICAN—

Folks, those people are CRIMINALLY INSANE.

28. Lisa C. Dixon
    February 12th, 2014 @ 7:55 pm

My georgia senators have been such a disappointment. I was laid off in August 2013 from a job i worked at for 15 years. I’ve been looking for work every day. I’m not lazy. I’m out of work. I’m about to be homeless. I can’t pay my electronic bill, water or insurance. Most of congress don’t care if it is extended or not because they will never have to worry about thing like this happing to them or their family. I never thought it would happen to me either. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. I’m sick with worry. I can’t sleep because I’m counting down the days I can stay in my house.

29. lisa vargas
    February 12th, 2014 @ 7:59 pm

This is unbelievable that noone is doing anything about this in America!unemployment insurance was paid in to and now the American people are being scammed!

30. Larry Chirco
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

Me and my wife and family were repuplicans no more…

31. Michael Mitchell
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:12 pm

Why don’t the conservative GOP stop holding their pockets and realize that the taxes the working class pays for pays their salary and helps them to decide on better budgets in the legislative branch of government. If a emergency election was to be performed today by those that are affected by the denial of extending unemployment, all of those GOP members that voted against it would be standing in the unemployment line themselves!

32. Glenn Annear
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:12 pm

I am one of the 1.7 million Americans affected by the lack of interest by congress. I have also decided to run for the senate and I encourage all the people in this same boat to do the same. It’s time for some changes in Washington and I believe someone who has been in our shoes could do a lot better job.

I’m not all that smart, but then our current politicians have proved that you don’t have to be.

33. keith
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:15 pm

Almost done here,as soon as power is shut off I’ll have no phone,no internet no way to be contacted from all the resume’s I’ve sent out. NO HOPE! Thank you for the no vote, after 42 years of working and paying taxes I am about to be standing roadside with a cardboard sign. How about we send a few more dollars overseas while were at it. We all need to rally at our state’s capitol same time same day to protest. oops I can’t make it, NO GAS!

34. JRK
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

I read an article 2 days ago that said Boehner made an offer to compromise; if President would agree to a 2 year hold on increasing the taxes against the wealthiest people in our Country (2%) he would agree to sign the EUC bill extending benefits for 13 months! Sounds like blackmail to me! Certainly this can’t be “business as usual” in Washington! Or is it a cout-de-tah? (spelling?) I read another article that revealed the President could provide grants to the states most needing it to fund a state “extended” benefit program, so why hasn’t that been suggested or better yet, acted upon? I fear something more is in the works because I cannot find assistance anywhere, having never before needing any, although I’ve met people who are receiving financial aid (cash money) that probably shouldn’t be. I would have planned better had I received more than 10 day’s notice that clearly stated this could happen. The notice I received was almost identical (word-for-word) to the one they sent out last year which, apparently, was a smooth process. I also received conflicting letters after that which I could not get explained by the telephone reps with the State UE office. Why is this year different? Do we have no responsible/competent people in any level of our established government? And if not, why haven’t they been terminated to allow me to apply for the position?

35. Steve
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

Keith is right folks, we MUST come together as a group, show up at the capitols at the same time/same day, get some TV coverage and shame them, otherwise it won’t work!

36. Rick Michaelis
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:48 pm

Vote them all out of office… every one. Let’s start over. We have the power you know.

37. Rick Michaelis
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

I am a highly trained IT professional. It took 10 months for me to find a job. Tell your representative to pass the extension now! They work for us and not there own agenda.

38. mark baker
    February 12th, 2014 @ 8:55 pm

Vote all Republicans out of office in every level of government. This has shown me that Republicans do not care about the people that put them where they are today. We the American people can change that, it is our right to vote. Vote anything but Republican, they are the true terrorists they just take away hope and hold millions of Americans hostage instead of using ied’s.

39. Phillip
    February 12th, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

I can see a vision, Crime rate will go up . The ones that lost their unemployment that don’t vote should go vote just to get all republicans out of office and then the democrats wont have nobody to argue with.

40. piglips
    February 12th, 2014 @ 9:44 pm

How do get a job in politics, easy – become a professional bullsh@ter

41. gtucci
    February 12th, 2014 @ 10:55 pm

Disgracefull to be american pay taxes your entire adult life and when you lose job because of weak economy left over from bush you get f,d again by your own government .do they really want the middleclass to drop into the welfare cycle
    That should strenghtn the country and be a beacon of pride for the red white and blue

42. dan
    February 12th, 2014 @ 10:57 pm

the rich get richer. the poor get poorer. its class warfare and the rich have won.

43. petrevski
    February 12th, 2014 @ 10:59 pm

why doesnt the president vote again? americans are worse off then other countrys.

44. Betty
    February 12th, 2014 @ 11:31 pm

I have worked for over 35 years and when I got laid off last year I never thought it would take this long to find a job. Why does our government think we are lazy? Why won’t they do more to help, nobody is looking for a handout just want a little bit of help. Very disappointed that they don’t relate to the people who put them there, guess it’s time for more/ different “hope and change”.

45. earl
    February 12th, 2014 @ 11:32 pm

2014 will definitely tell it all. watch what I say!!

46. Joyce
    February 13th, 2014 @ 12:07 am

You government people suck. I will never vote again and especially for a Republican. 58 years old and never collected unemployment or any other benefit in my life. Worked 40 years, payed in to them, but when I need help it is F U no money for you. Sorry if you can’t pay your rent too bad, sorry if you don’t have money for groceries too bad. No children no help. Bankruptcy here I come. Card board box here I come or maybe I will just end it first.

47. JRK
    February 13th, 2014 @ 1:12 am

Its an act of terrorism; they must have realized it would strike “terror” into the hearts of millions of people and now we are hostages to be paid as a ransom once their demands are met. No new taxes imposed on the wealthiest people in our nation. They probably want us to pay them out of the unemployment “benefits” we may or may not get! I wish one of us unemployed (like we’re a tribe) could run for their office and win.

48. Laverne
    February 13th, 2014 @ 1:26 am

Unemployment is for people who want to work, we can not find a suitable job it is not reality right now. We are hoping they do the right thing have a heart you too may be on this side one day. To read everyone comments is not easy, I pray for everyone that this 2 shall pass. Its been hard when you can’t feed yourself or your kids. I don’t want public aid but I will to survive. DO WHAT IS RIGHT VOTE YES.

49. Charlotte Harris
    February 13th, 2014 @ 2:16 am

Congrats to our government who is so caring to send millions to foreign country to help people. While billions have been spent on wars in countries that never wanted us there. Now let’s make our free people who have worked our whole life and earned our unemployment be made to beg for what owed to us. I’m 62 years old I was working for 17yrs at my last job when I was let go. I lost my insurance and all source of income all I had was my unemployment. I just started into my extended benefits when I got cut off. I have worked since I was 12years old this was the first time in over 30 yrs I was collecting unemployment. I was forced to take my social security early which only give me 1083 to live on instead of 1400 that I would have gotten if I waited. Could any of you senator live on that? I can barely survive yet waste money on gas to go looking for a job when no one want to hire a 62yr old sick woman who probably won’t be able to purchase her medication when they run out. Oh yeah to try to get Medicaid usually take 6 months . So in closing you can believe if you want that unemployment rates are down or you can be honest and know that people have just given up and believe this there will be a increase in homeless. Here’s hoping your parents or relatives become some of those statistics.

50. Kitten Britten
    February 13th, 2014 @ 2:27 am

What more do they need to not see that the extension is absolutely necessary. This is survival mode we’re all facing. All I have left to say is how dare they! Hang tough everyone – we’re in for a hell of a ride.

51. Betty
    February 13th, 2014 @ 2:36 am

I been working every since I was thirteen,
    we the people contribute to unemployment. I
    been looking for work since June, still looking
    this was the first time I had to draw unemployment. Why is that the people work so
    hard and it become this. the congress doesn’t
    care as long as they can stick it in their
    pockets. I need this my husband has Renal Kidney failure and I trying everything to
    get his medicine, this so not fair.

Please I beg of you to vote yes. companies
    doesn’t like to hire people who’s over fifty.
    but they not going to tell you that. you either have to much or not a law, here’s law
    you should pass. have companies to hire people that’s over fifty, we can do the job may more
    years than you think.

52. Joanne
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:12 am

I am a widow that was retired, but in order to keep a roof over my head due to unforeseen circumstances, was forced to go back to work. Until the middle of last year I worked at a hospital, although a PRN, put in a 40 hour work week. I still put in a 40+ work week just trying to find new employment. If I am not out in my car going from one place to another looking for work (mostly being rejected & told they aren’t hiring or if they are hiring I need to go on line since they do not accept resumes, applications, or walk-ins). The other times I am on my computer reviewing all my emails form hiring sites; responding to ads with my resume or filling out on line applications; researching others on line or calling from the phone book even. I even tried to start my own clerical work at home business…didn’t even get one taker with that, but spent a chunk of money trying! The government has rules about age discrimination but try proving that is the reason I am not being hired! I have experience, I am dependable and can probably out work someone younger.. but go on an interview and when they realize your age you can see their faces change, but I will not give up because by March if I do not have a job I don’t know how the mortgage will be paid or the other debts I have will be in collections or something. This is hell. The stress of all this is taking it’s toll, believe me. Shame on Congress, people we voted for are truly letting the hard working, responsible American workers down…. Shame on all of them in government…I hope you all sleep at night in your nice warm houses where you didn’t have to turn the thermostat 20 degrees less than you are use to, or reuse a tea bag to save money.

53. bryan
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:15 am

when does it stop in 3 months they will just sign up for welfare anyway

54. Robert
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:21 am

Vote them out. When will Americans stop asking why and take charge. Republican senators will be the death of this great country. This is so sad. I was lucky. Last unemployment check I was able to find a good paying job after spending all that I saved to move 1,000 miles.

55. Kaye
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:22 am

Republican VOTE YES, you are hurting millions of families. We can’t get to job interviews without gas which cost money. Stopping our funds don’t a job will hop in our lap. It just means, NO money, NO lights, No food, NO shelter. It means NO interviews. Because I can’t drive to it; why? No gas. I am not lazy, what an insult! I lost my job I didn’t quit. I am on the internet at least 8 hrs a day, looking for work, and when I not looking. I am volunteering in my community; using this time to network. Why don’t you honor the the people who put you in office. Do the right thing and help the people who voted for you. I don’t want to be push to homelessness and public assistance. I can imagine what you have to say about me then. I really want an job, I enjoy helping my community grow and knowing it’s because of me; that another business can keep their doors open. Do the right thing Congress help millions help their community. Because an no, vote is hurting american economy. VOTE YES!!

56. Dean
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:24 am

I lost my job in June and have been looking ever since. The unemployment in my town is in the double digits. Without any income I will not only be unable to look for work gas cost money so does the internet where I also look for work. I will probably in the long run have to file bankruptcy and hope to find work or end up homeless. Not the American dream.

57. Joanne
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:30 am

I am a widow that was retired, but in order to keep a roof over my head due to unforeseen circumstances, was forced to go back to work. Until the middle of last year I worked at a hospital, although a PRN, put in a 40 hour work week. I still put in a 40+ work week just trying to find new employment. If I am not out in my car going from one place to another looking for work (mostly being rejected & told they aren’t hiring or if they are hiring I need to go on line since they do not accept resumes, applications, or walk-ins). The other times I am on my computer reviewing all my emails form hiring sites; responding to ads with my resume or filling out on line applications; researching others on line or calling from the phone book even. I even tried to start my own clerical work at home business. I didn’t even get one taker with that, but spent money trying! The government has rules about age discrimination but try proving that is the reason I am not being hired! I have experience, I am dependable and can probably out work someone younger.. but go on an interview and when they realize your age you can see their faces change, but I will not give up because by March if I do not have a job I don’t know how the mortgage will be paid or the other debts I have will be in collections or something. The stress of all this is taking it’s toll. Shame on Congress, people we voted for are truly letting the hard working, responsible American workers down. Shame on all of them in government! I hope you all sleep at night in your nice warm houses where you didn’t have to turn the thermostat 20 degrees less than you are use to, or reuse a tea bag to save money.

58. Joanne
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:43 am

I am a widow that was retired. In order to keep a roof over my head due to unforeseen circumstances, was forced to go back to work. I worked at a hospital and had put in a 40 hour work week. I still put in a 40+ work week just trying to find new employment. If not out in my car going place to place looking for work (being rejected, told they aren’t hiring or if hiring told to go on line since they don’t accept resumes, applications, etc.). Other times I’m on my computer reviewing emails form hiring sites; responding to ads with my resume or filling out on line applications; researching others on line or calling from the phone book even. I even tried to start my own clerical work at home business. I didn’t even get one taker with that, but spent money trying! The government has rules on age discrimination but try proving that is the reason I am not being hired! I have experience, dependable and can out work someone younger, but go on an interview and when they realize your age you can see their faces change. I will not give up trying, but by March if I don’t have a job either my mortgage won’t be paid or my other debts will be in collections or something. The stress of all this is taking it’s toll. Shame on Congress, people we voted for are truly letting the hard working, responsible American workers down. Shame on all of them in government! I hope you all sleep at night in your nice warm houses where you didn’t have to turn the thermostat 20 degrees less than you are use to, or reuse a tea bag to save money.

59. Stephanie
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:56 am

My husband has worked since he was 13 and he is a Disabled Veteran. We have a 15 year old with a brainstem tumor and we have exhausted our savings and have no one to help us we are currently losing our internet within days our home phone, cell phones which means my husband has no access to continue his search for jobs and no employment can contact him since we have no phones and that also means we have issues contacting our sons specialists because if there is no money you can’t just go out and by go phones like AT&T told us to do..lol seriously! Now we are concerned about our electricity being shut off and our vehicle insurance will not be paid so can’t drive without that. I am very disappointed in our Congress and President. To our Congressman in Illinois..Mr. Davis you are an embarrassment and joke!

60. Revolution
    February 13th, 2014 @ 4:09 am

The Republicans will never work with Obama because he continues to expose them. Though this is necessary and I applaud him for doing so, it has closed many doors for his administration. We need to model Iceland. They put the crooked bankers in jail instead of giving them millions more and ousted the politicians (Republicans in our case) who were not doing the job they were hired to do. Democrats are to blame as well. If Harry Reid allowed concessions to the EUC plan they would have passed an extension and we would not be having this conversation. Contact your Congressman, Contact your Senator, Contact your Representative, organize a protest and channel the negative energy they have created into something that will make changes in our current government. Revolution is overdue.

61. Blake
    February 13th, 2014 @ 5:31 am

Single mother. No money to buy diapers for my 1 year old son. Been searching for work since my son turned 6 months. Have bills flowing everywhere. My son was born on Christmas Day and couldn’t even afford to buy HIM a cupcake to celebrate his 1 year ONLY because every dollar i spend is crucial and with all my bills, like RENT, CONED, MILK FOR MY SON, FOOD, DIAPERS, METRO CARD, SO that I can go out and search for Work DETERGENT so THat I can wash my toddler clothes ETC. IT IS so sad and so hurtful to see this is how we are being treated. I’ve been working since the age of 16! I am now 32 by the grace of GOD. I just want to tell Congress or the one voter who decided Against extending EUC THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CRUELTY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. IT IS WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS. I ALSO WILL LIKE TO ASK, HOW CAN YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT WHEN there innocent BABIES LIKE MY SON suffering in all this!!??? (Smh)… As the saying goes GOD does not like UGLY and KARMA is such a BITCH!! ….

62. gary boyd
    February 13th, 2014 @ 5:36 am

i been working for 30years i only been on extended for a month before it ended we as peoples got a eye opener we must vote this republicans out make sure in each of your city u vote this clowns out they aint doing nothing for us but puttin us down calling us lazy.i have just giving up now im just piss

63. BARBARA
    February 13th, 2014 @ 10:18 am

Keep reporting to unemployment office so you can be counted, email every Senator who voted no. Vote against everyone of them you can. Make a statement.

64. jack
    February 13th, 2014 @ 12:12 pm

I am 51 been in the work force since I was 14 . I am a veteran that in November lost a 16 dollar hour job in northern Wisconsin where there are just not a lot of jobs here. Unemployment that I would get pales to my normal check but it is better than nothing when you are running out of everything its been below zero even in the day time here for quite some time soon I wont be able to heat my home let alone eat or look for work congress needs to do their job we give tons of cash to Isreal and other countries we need to take care of our own first

65. mike
    February 13th, 2014 @ 2:00 pm

Blah Blah Blah….they dont care people! Stop the talking and texting crap and take matters in your own hands NOW. The hell with this backstabbing government! ANARCHY IN THE USA.

66. steve
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

I find it rather odd that each time I post, where I ask everyone to band together (as that is what it is going to take)i.e. start an on line petition, get people across the nation to converge on their capitols at the same time (as this will draw attention from the media)and so forth, my post just disappears all of a sudden? Must just be a coincidence right? Well, if we don’t get the media involved and “shame these people”, look for no changes at all! They must feel pressure not only from the unemployed, but also, the employed as they surely know a friend, family member who is out of work AND looking. Where are the good old days where we as Americans stood up for each other? Now they cut back food stamps, again, no out-cries, no reactions,,,,,,so sad

67. Deb
    February 13th, 2014 @ 3:47 pm

I have not had any income since Dec 28th. Unemployment is not a hand out it earned by people who work. I HAVE BEEN WORKING SINCE I WAS 12 YEARS OLD. Why is there enough money in the budget for welfare? All of AMERICANS know that a majority of walfare people have not worked a day in their life. Why cant the goverment take a pay cut? Most are overpaid for the work they do, they have vacations almost every month. You are taking away hard earned money from people who need it live on.

68. Debi Lampp
    February 13th, 2014 @ 6:03 pm

Please those of you that have exhausted your benefits contact your local Dept.of Human Services to get help. Most of us working people do not know all of the resources that are available to you for help. Go ASAP!!! You have to be direct about what you need, but POLITE (even if the people working there are not)
    I work in this environment & have found that there are resources available. And, as far as medical coverage, if you have been unemployed for quite some time you will qualify for Medicaid under the AFFORDABLE CARE ACT. Apply on line for this ASAP &/or at your local DHS office.
    It is terrible that it has come to this, but there is some help available to hopefully keep you off of the streets.
    I know it is hard to continue to look for work & disheartening to continue to look & no one will hire so many people for so many reasons, but you will never get a job if you don’t look. Maybe if some of your other needs are taken care of it will help ease the burden so you can put more energy to job searching. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!!

69. michael hadowanetz
    February 13th, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

what a discrase these people in washington are they should all be fired and the jobs given to people that can get the job done. wonder why no one trusts the goverment. must me nice to get all that time off and huge pay they should be ashamed of themselves. stop giving money away to foreign goverments.

70. karen
    February 13th, 2014 @ 6:25 pm

like so many of these comments that are being posted.I myself and my husband lost are jobs at the same time.so having to both be on unemployment was very hard.we have no other income and relied on the benefits to pay are bills.we live in a rural area which means we need the money for gas to go to interviews if we get them.we could keep sitting here and put the blame on republicans and democrats but to me you are people that we voted into office.my husband and i are 53yrs.old and dont look for handouts we want to work but we also have to pay for utilities,rent,food and gas for cars.this money isnt being used to sit on my butt its being put right back the economey.so congress pay attention and stop your stupid crap and extend benefits for 3 months.And for the president you make statments that your helping the people to find jobs and to go back to school for better jobs that cost money and time to even get interviews that could take at least a month.why dont you put your authority where your mouth is and do something.I would like members of congress to call their utilitiy servers and all other companys if they would not shut off services and to work with them it really hurts.Oh one more thing goverment services lyheap and link cards to help with food i signed up three weeks ago and still havent heard anything. WOW go figure.

71. Tyree Doyle
    February 13th, 2014 @ 8:24 pm

I have worked all my life and Iam very proud of this,been with the same company for 33yrs until it shutdown,so started drawing ui benefits for the first time in my life,and this is what they do?Still can’t find a job but I can vote…………

72. Marshall
    February 13th, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

This is not just a Republician problem. Ever single incumbant needs to be voted out of office. They are all just shelfish and do not care about normal people like us. How can any of them give money to foriegn countries while our American people suffer. Yes, even Democracts vote for foreign aid. Enough is enough, it is time to help our own people!

73. Theresa
    February 13th, 2014 @ 11:04 pm

The Republicans have the nerve to call themselves Christians’ and great Americans. I laugh because the true measure of Christianity is giving (selflessness), the true measurement of an American is helpfulness (we are the world diplomats, greatest country in the world). The American Christian thing to do is extend the Unemployment Insurance to millions of tax paying Americans. Don’t attempt to attach Amendments that have nothing to do with job creation, or extended job training to it. Just Do It….Do the right and decent thing…..The Bank Bailout cost 27 Trillion dollars (paid for bonuses, no return on the dollar) to extend Unemployment Insurance for the 2014 year 26 Billion at the most? (Americans able to pay their bills, eat, look for employment) You do the math….Give me a break.

74. M Malone
    February 13th, 2014 @ 11:31 pm

I have worked all of my life and for a long time a trusted in the U.S in there leaders of this great country that we call home.This is so sad that the leaders of this country can sit back and say THEY DON’T CARE weather we eat or not.JUST A SAD TIME TO BE A HARD WORKING AMERICAN.

75. Susan
    February 13th, 2014 @ 11:53 pm

Supposedly THE REPUBLICANS want to pass the extension, but in negotiations with the DEMOCRATS, are looking for cuts in existing programs to fund the benefits. If they are looking for cuts, they should be looking at the billions of dollars in waste, spent in their own house. There is millions of dollars in simple things like supplies, that they can’t even account for. Perhaps they should also look at taking a 10% pay cut, like millions of other Americans have been asked and required to do. They could also pay for their own medical insurance, which is by the way, the best money has to offer. I could go on and on. It is a travesty that the working class, who are the backbone of this country, should find themselves in this place; unemployed, and looking for work in a terrible economy. These are the same people who have worked hard all of their lives, and due to circumstances out of their control, are living on the edge of poverty. There is no justification for NOT approving the extension. I find it ironic that they are looking for ways to fund the extension, when they are most likely going to approve to raise the debt ceiling, which means more government spending, and more debt for our country. I know that when it is time for me to vote, I will be voting to get them out of office. There should be term limits, as I do not think our founding fathers, meant for politicians to make a career in the Senate, etc. There are four Republican’s who voted for the extension. The best thing to do is contact each Republican Senator, and tell them your opinion and urge them to pass this urgently needed extension. I did.

76. H. T.
    February 14th, 2014 @ 12:13 am

I have to ask, it seems that president Obama was able to pass “Obamacare” with everyone voting it down, and be able to make changes to this law after it passes….I would think that he has enough power and could reinstate the unemployment extentions. So I have to ask isn’t the president using this as a political ploy to make the others look bad???

77. Linda
    February 14th, 2014 @ 12:14 am

Although I fall into this category, worked many years, on unemployment for the first time, and benefits cut off as of 12/28/2013, I want you to educate yourselves a little more than you have if you’re bashing just the GOP for this. The Democrats hold accountability to make some spending cuts to make this work, and they have chosen not too. Just as it was with the government shut down. They chose not to make concessions, however the GOP is expected to. Wake up! It’s both parties responsibility to fix this. If you want to blame just the GOP, they hold the power, then what you’re saying is your President is worthless in his position.

78. mitch
    February 14th, 2014 @ 12:21 am

I have worked for the last 35 years and was forced to file for unemployment for the first time.Now no more extensions and no more hope.
    I apply to at least 35 jobs a week with no responses. I am not one of those 90 million Americans that have given up hope, but with a government like ours I can see why so many do.
    NO EXTENSIONS NO HOPE

79. bob
    February 14th, 2014 @ 1:08 am

POND SCUM

80. Dora Foulke
    February 14th, 2014 @ 1:20 am

I am one of those Americans without income now i am a single parent with a child with special needs, with no income that has put a burdeon on us. And yes i am sure there are people willing to lay around and take the money but i have sent out ton’s of resumes and belong on allot of temp services and i still cannot find employment. Please do something to help the one’s of us who need the help.

81. moira
    February 14th, 2014 @ 2:00 am

Wow after 35 years hard work and being proud of it, I run out of money in my unemployed acct ????what a way to say thank you America !!! oh yeah my last job was for 17 years, and I run out of unemployed money in less then a year??? WOW THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

82. dave robbins
    February 14th, 2014 @ 2:07 am

send money overseas to all foreign countrys,when comes down american people tell go hell need vote every politicion out office!!!

83. Mejid
    February 14th, 2014 @ 3:21 am

I am just wondering if the Republicans who vote against the extension are happy now while thousands of unemployed hard workers struggling in this slow economic. I have been working for years and lost my job and since I was looking for any job and I am not picky anything with no luck so far. Now I lost my benefits and I am facing eviction and become homeless.
    Republicans are haters and only care about their bottom line.

84. Matt D
    February 14th, 2014 @ 4:45 am

Maybe if they all pony up their insider stock trade winnings that might cover it.

85. H G
    February 14th, 2014 @ 5:02 am

There was a comment mentioned earlier about the democrats and Harry Reid making concessions and blaming them as much as the republigoons! Here’s the fact of the matter, the democrats and Harry Reid could make every concession the GOP ask 4 and they would still vote no 4 unemployment benefits, and that’s because they don’t want the unemployed 2 receive any checks @ all period! But they’re 2 cowardly 2 come out directly and say so because November will be when they lose their jobs if they did say so and they know it. So what they do is hide behind procedure rules of the senate such as, being allowed 2 offer amendments 2 the bill and so on. Here’s the deal though, when the bill finally passes and it will, they’re gonna get voted out anyway! We didn’t 4get their shutdown of the government, and we won’t 4get this either! This is just the nail in the coffin!!!

86. Steph
    February 14th, 2014 @ 7:43 am

I have been unemployed for 1 plus year. I have not have not been gainfully employed with benefits since 2006. I feel like I am going under. I can only imagine what the suicide rate is. Luckily I am a strong black woman. I am single but if I had kids I could hardly bare the suffering. I lost my unemployment and now I am losing my place, car, phone, and business. Senator McCain will not be receiving my vote again. I cant believe our government would put us in extreme poverty and cut money from the poor’s essential programs we need to survive. I am educated and I have credentials. I am terrified of what is happening and I don’t know what to do. I feel this is all happening because the president is black and our congress will stop at nothing to try to prove he is incapable of running the country. I used to be a republican.

87. JB
    February 14th, 2014 @ 7:53 am

As of tomorrow I will be living on the streets with my little dog. Lost my apartment due to the rug being pulled out from underneath me. Im 61 years old and worked my entire adult life and this is what I have to show for it. The political game in Washington has come to a new low. All of us 1.7 million plus people are just pawns in their chess game. How does it feel to be used?

88. Louie Soriano
    February 14th, 2014 @ 8:05 am

Republicans have a heart and compassion. I hope you can do much better not punishing unemployed to down to their limits.

89. Marnie Harrington
    February 14th, 2014 @ 12:34 pm

This is my country? This is truly unbelievable what they are doing to good people during a very bad time. It is not only the Republicans; it is the Democrats as well. While they are busy playing mental and emotional ping-pong with us, we are all suffering more and more and the desperation is becomming unbearable.

How dare they do this to us? They work for us and their pay comes out of taxes we (usually) pay. They are so busy trying to “one-up” each other that they are of absolutely no use.

My God, how can they live with themselve? Millions of us just begging for a little help as they sit in their gilded little cages ruling the land. What a disgusting power-trip they are on.

I am a Christian lady with a very gentle spirit. I can’t even step on bugs. I must admit however, I sometimes understand how people go “off the deep end”….I just bury my head in a pillow and scream right now.

I do know that somehow we will make it and The Lord will see us though. They should remember that HE IS keeping score!

90. Nikia
    February 14th, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

They don’t seem to give a damn about us. Most of us have worked our entire life and are unemployed due to no fault of out own…. They just letting more and more time past and doing nothing…. I wonder how they would act if ppl started protesting and or rioting just to have a voice because they are angry…. It’s wrong… Ppl can sit on their asses and get a welfare check but funds I worked for can easily get cut off and let billions high and dry losing homes, cars, electricity etc… We lost our lifeline, our only hope while searching for another job…. I am constantly completing applications, even going on interviews and I am still unemployed. I am far from lazy or wanting a handout because I could and still have not even applied for public assistance for cash. I have children, 15 and 8 months who needs mommy to have a job so I am still looking and getting no where it’s not fair that my blanket was snatched from my family and now we are living in my sisters basement barely surviving and I am trying to maintain my sanity but it’s hard when I am trying so hard and NOTHING….

91. Janita Brown
    February 14th, 2014 @ 3:05 pm

Been working since I was 13 now I’m 47. I’ve been unemployed since February of last year. I didn’t start drawing my unemployment until May as I thought I would already have a job. I had only been drawing the EUC for about a month or so when it was cut off. I apply for many many jobs every week a lot of times with no responses. I have a degree in a field listed in the top 10 for jobs. I’m also retired from the Air National Guard after 28 1/2 years of service. Can’t draw that retirement until I’m 60. I have 0 income and am behind on my mortgage. Only have utilities and food because of family and friends, but they are tapped out. I blame all of congress and the president. They just voted themselves a raise, but can’t take care of the Americans that are losing hope. It is a very sad time to be a hardworking American. The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poor. Really tired of the comment about people on unemployment are lazy. Although I’m sure there are some that take advantage, those are the minority, not the majority. Most are diligently working to find a job. Congress needs to get their facts straight before saying we are all lazy. Don’t know what I’ll do if I don’t get a job quick.

92. Jason
    February 14th, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

These self righteous Republicans only care about their political party! If the extension helped them in the election it would have already been passed. This is a true story of the Hunger Games! Please vote out these arrogant republicans that has lost sight of what America stands for. Who would do this to their own people and cut off the only money they have during the worst winter in several years. People are dying and they still don’t care.

93. J. Langford
    February 14th, 2014 @ 7:45 pm

It makes me so mad that they can say that extended unemployment benefits will make people lazy. LAZY ! I’ve worked since I was 17 years old and had worked at my last job for 13 years when I lost it in July 2012. It was not my choice to go from making $1000 a week to $330 unemployment ! I’m 53 years old, have a college degree and nearly 37 years of experience, yet I can’t find a job. Everyone that is unemployed in their 50′s and 60′s knows that it is Age Discrimination but there’s no way of proving it. I have several friends (all in their 50′s) in the same situation. How can you apply for a job where you have 25 years experience for the job and get no response or get a Thank You for applying but you don’t qualify? How can you not qualify? The employers are hiring 20 year olds with no experience is why ! If you apply for a minimum pay job, they say you’re over-qualified! It’s a no-win situation. Unemployment benefits do not allow people to sit on their butts and live the high life ! I was barely meeting my housing expenses and now that I have exhausted my State benefits, I have nothing. How can I look for jobs when I have no money for a phone/internet or money for gas. And unless you’re young, lazy and have kids, there is no emergency assistance of any kind. They need to take a look at who is getting Welfare benefits! They are young and can get all the jobs that us older, experienced people can’t ! It’s really sad that this country sends billions to foreign countries but refuses to help their own people. It is so easy for them to deny us. With their high paying positions and benefits, they, or none of their families, will never know what it’s like to be down to their last dollar.

94. Mike Somerlot
    February 14th, 2014 @ 8:23 pm

Why is it when another country that does not pay into our social system reap our rewards with no problems with congress at all yet “We The People” that work and pay taxes to support this silly crap are the ones that suffer. I have for all my life been a Republican, a veteran of law enforcement and even held the rank of Chief of Police. I have always loved my country and supported her with everything I have and tried to pass it on to my children. Now I will most likely not even vote, I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils, Both parties suck! We have been treated like children and “They” know best. And we should just be blind followers and ride the boat with them straight into hell. I refuse this notion I will break party ranks and vote for a candidate that is worthy of my vote (If one exists). Where did our America go?

95. Tonya J
    February 14th, 2014 @ 10:50 pm

You bet your sweet bippy I’m voting …. give you ONE GUESS who it WON’T be for!!!! I too have worked all my life since I was 16 — got laid off last year, collected unemployment and first tier was stopped thanks to our lovely government. Fortunately I have a husband that works but we are still tight tight tight with money. I’ve never looked for a job so hard in my life and came up with NOTHING!

96. Labor Lilly
    February 15th, 2014 @ 1:44 am

TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF “LABOR DAY” SURPRISE VISIT ON WASHINGTON.

97. Silvestre Gallegos
    February 15th, 2014 @ 5:58 am

I like to say to this government that what they are doing is in my opinion low and heartless. To all of the senators in charge of stoping this very need it help to hard working people. I do believe that now the devotion of most of you is to special interest; and not to you country man and woman ;children, babies and more I’m sure. Those hard working people that with their taxes you get a pay check with all of the extras you get. That most defenatly not deserve because your focous is not your country is something else is a game of power and greed. Just remember that the way you treat will be treated . Is a golden rule good luck with your heartless and blind game…..

98. Sam Interi
    February 17th, 2014 @ 6:35 am

While we are all out looking for work, let’s stop by the voter registration office and (re)register as an Independent.
    I believe this will cut off some funding for the big two, and keep them guessing as well.
    Vote how you want, just (re)register.

99. Joanne
    March 3rd, 2014 @ 6:12 pm

56 Responses to this unemployment issue article. All are so sad and unbelievable, especially for people who want to work and have to go through this. Wish I was internet savy, perhaps I could put this on Facebook, Twitter, whatever and then maybe…just maybe, someone in Washington would read some of these and if they have a heart of any kind do something about it. They are worrying today more about foreign countries, but not about their own people. This is bad when hardworking honest people are “begging” their own government to help them, but all their government seems to worry about are people from other countries. Makes no sense at all!