Posted on | February 10, 2014 | 9 Comments

Unemployment News and Extended Benefit news Review today February 10, 2014:
Many Americans are attempting to compose themselves this week after receiving news that the Senate once again voted against passing an extension for long term unemployment benefits. The most recent plan was structured to extend unemployment benefits, which expired for many Americans as of December 28, 2013, for an additional three months. Democrats relayed that the plan would have been paid for by pension plan modifications. Fewer Republicans agreed with this plan than were necessary. More specifically, one less Republican voted for the plan than was needed and therefore, the extension plan was scrapped. Over a million out of work Americans received this disastrous news as the last week was concluding and are left feeling helpless and uncertain over what the future might hold for them and their families.
Senator Jack Reed publicly acknowledged his disappointment over the fact that approximately 1.7 million Americans will now have to continue life without the federal financial lifeline. He said that with each passing week, about 70,000 more Americans lose their long term unemployment benefits. He stated that if benefits are not provided at some point before the end of the year, millions of Americans will be left without a modest sum of money to aid and support them during weeks while they continue to search for gainful employment. He stated that the vast majority of Republicans ignored the 1.7 million Americans in need during the recent vote. The inaction on the part of the Republican side during the Senate vote has been highlighted recently, and the negative criticism continues to mount.

Comments

9 Responses to “Unemployment Benefit Extension Crisis; Senate votes Against Passing Extended Unemployment Compensation for America’s Jobless; Democrats blame Republicans”

1. Scott
    February 10th, 2014 @ 2:20 pm

Watch the crime rates start rising… People have to eat, and if they can’t they’ll steal to do it. Being homeless in winter sucks too. Especially if children are involved. What a bunch of disconnected, heartless, selfish bastards! Give em what they ask for, and they still don’t want it anyway. Its all a game and we are the pawns.

2. Paul
    February 10th, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

Protest this ineffective congress, next vote, vote filibusterers out of office. It does nothing to help this nation.

Here a list of the filibusterers that just helped block emergency aid for 1.7 million US unemployed citizens:

Alexander (R-TN)

Sessions (R-AL)

Shelby (R-AL)

Thune (R-SD)

Toomey (R-PA)

Vitter (R-LA)

Wicker (R-MS)

Use your power of the vote to rid the government of those trying to muck it up for their political agenda at the expense of struggling citizens. These are fascist maneuvers and not what this country is about.

3. michael
    February 10th, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

They’re not gonna like the outcome to the reactions of people if they don’t extend emergency benefits, especially the ones who deserve it,,,,

4. Alexandra
    February 10th, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

So, I contacted some of those Republicans stating that unemployed need more job training and need to get more skills to get hired again. Well I sent them my resume that shows my 10+ yr experience in financial analysis, M.S. degree in Finance , B.S. degree in IT and Harvard Business School training . I asked them what additional education or skills or training they would recommend me to acquire to become employable again. NO ONE wrote me back. The have nothing to say to such a people like me. I wish I could look one of those imbeciles in an eye with resume in my hands . Cowards.

February 10th, 2014 @ 6:28 pm

Blunt will be out of office in MO… Me or my wife will never vote republican again. Its there own fault, they sit there and shit on the people who need help… I am unemployed ands it winter, I have kids that I am trying to keep a roof over and warm… With no income..

6. John Sandher
    February 10th, 2014 @ 6:41 pm

Sooner or later the extension will be a forgotten issue and the entire matter will have been swept under the rug. I blame Reid and the rest of the Democrats as much as the Republicans and right now its about assigning blame for not passing the measure. The republicans want amendments that have nothing to do with unemployment and the democrats won’t budge on any type of compromise. According to what I have read the numbers for long term unemployed are about the same as they were when they first put the EUC into place when G Bush was president. Its not about the money or the unemployed its about party differences and that’s pretty sad considering how many people are out of work with no benefits like the millions that came before them had. By the end of March it will all be over and the welfare ranks will swell even higher,the exact opposite of what they want to happen.

7. daniel
    February 10th, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

I am sure that in a few hundred years, I will forgive the republicans for this, and vote for them again.

8. phyllis stevens
    February 10th, 2014 @ 11:37 pm

the whole situation stinks and anyone who doesn’t have a job and struggling to keep a roof over their head and food on the table doesn’t understand what we’re going thru. too bad someone they care about isn’t in our shoes…maybe then they’d stop their politicking and pass the emergency legislation. we’re only talking three months after all. pretty sad when one vote stands in the way. it’s sick in a country as wealthy as ours.

9. Sue
    February 11th, 2014 @ 4:17 pm

It is cold, callous and unethical. I don’t understand how our country can bail out the banks or other countries yet we can’t take care of our own. Many people are already cold on our leaders, I hear it all the time. I read this last night (written in “Two Treasures” a book by Thich Nhat Hanh) It goes: …that poverty creates hatred and anger, which creates a vicious cycle of negative thoughts and activity… (pg4) and it is happening. Our government is allowing that poverty to take root. It simply does not care about the people. It appears that they only care about who they are shaking hands with. Thanks Paul (posted above) for listing many of those people. I will do everything in my power not to have them re-elected. I believe in an America that is behind it’s people and my vote will count.